Mountain Lion took one of our hens! :(

Atrayu

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 12, 2011
Hermosa, South Dakota
Yesterday while we were eating supper, a mountain lion came and took one of our free ranging hens. The was news of a mountain lion in the neighborhood (report of four goats being killed a few days ago). Our coop is very secure at night (including an electric permeter) so coop safety is not the issue. It happened so fast, I had just fed our hens (a group of 18) and they were all there. Went in to eat supper and when I came back to put the girls to bed saw that one was missing. My family went searching for her and we found a pile of feathers and lion tracks.
Since mountains lions usually attack at night, dusk or dawn, we will keep our Blue Heeler (who really enjoys our chickens and they really love hanging with her) on watch with them when we have supper and in the morning when I let them out before work. The Game and Fish are on the hunt for the lion, but I know this lion knows there is a supply of food on our ranch (I live in the Black Hills of South Dakota).

If anyone has any suggestions on what else I can do to keep from losing any more of our hens, please let me know.
I know there is always a risk of predators living in a wilderness area, it was just my first lost and needed to share with folks who would understand.

Little Carol Ann (our Gold Star pullet) R.I.P.

thanks
Mark

Mt lions can eat Blue heelers. Take care of your dog too. In Colorado they steal dogs and eat them if they are in the back yard. My Son lives there and has told me. Gloria Jean

Lead will keep mountain lions at bay. Buy it in bullet form. Load it in your firearm of choice. Then just like a fire extinguisher point and shoot.
lau.gif

i have a suggestion stay in a tree all night with a ar-15 and when it comes bang! bang! bang!!! and then grill it eat it there you go revenge and a feast atleast thats what i would do

Great responses! Especially grinding it up to feed to the chickens. They definitely made me smile.

We do have a gun ready. We are allowed to kill the lion if it has killed pets and livestock and since little Carol Ann was both, its bye-bye lion.
I don't like killing animals, but if it becomes a threat to my family and pets, then it has to go.
thanks!

Back
Top Bottom