Mouse bite/Frost bite/ broken ankles???

They all back in a corner of the box now to sleep. The one with bad ankles is the only one constantly under her all the way and the others are usually tucked behind her or behind a wing with their heads peeking out.
Poor kiddos 😣
Jeez that sounds bad. I don't know what those temps are as I compute in 'modern', lol. Only my mum knows what F is since we went decimal before I was born.

But seriously, aren't they in a coop with insulation at night? Or do they roost in trees? Chickens huddle up pretty well together.
Below freezing... Wisconsin here. Don't use an insulated coop.

Frostbite can be a real issue in those temps. What is your coop like?

But have you had chicks this young in these temps before?
Single digits for 2 weeks straight is quite a bit of stress even on adults much less 9 1/2 week olds.
Yeah. Their aunt's were born maybe a week earlier last year. We have temps like that normally, but not until late November. We were supposed to have a month of gradual decline instead if dropping from 50s to singles

Frostbite is very possible. I've already lost a chick and a. 7 month cockerel to the cold. It's been single digits if not negatives every night and day for 2 weeks.
Yeah. Their aunt's were born maybe a week earlier last year. We have temps like that normally, but not until late November. We were supposed to have a month of gradual decline instead if dropping from 50s to singles
It's a room in my barn that houses quail and rabbits plus any chicken that. Decides to wander inside.
The hutch they are in - does it have a solid floor or is it wire?

I would add extra bedding, but the problem with Frostbite is that it take several weeks for the damage to really show itself. It's in the early stages looks like to me.
Continued exposure to cold is just going to make it worse.

The hutch they are in - does it have a solid floor or is it wire?

I would add extra bedding, but the problem with Frostbite is that it take several weeks for the damage to really show itself. It's in the early stages looks like to me.
Continued exposure to cold is just going to make it worse.
It's all wood. I keep their wire door open so they can move around because they're getting too big to be penned there

Back
Top Bottom