Mouse eating

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Whitney9988, May 17, 2009.

1. Whitney9988

Whitney9988 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2008
    Washington
    The other day I mouse got into the coop and the chickens went on attacked mode, killed it, and then ate it. I was disgusting but couldn't catch up to the bird to grab and toss the mouse. I was wondering if this is normal and is it ok for them to eat the mice?[​IMG]

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Perfectly normal

Imp- Good chicken

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Mine think mice are a tasty treat...yes, it's normal.

4. country freedom

country freedom Chillin' With My Peeps

Chickens are omnivores, just like we (most of us) are. They need greens, meat, and grains to be healthy.

5. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    I trapped a couple of mice in my shop last night and empty the traps into the chicken run. Then I got to watch a rousing game of chicken keep away.

6. Whitney9988

Whitney9988 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2008
    Washington
    Thats good. At least you got to see keep away and not tug-o-war in which case, both chickens split the prize lol. Not a pretty picture:th. Can mice spread diseases though? Or do chickens have immunes systems to fight of most diseases they carry?

7. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Mice can carry roundworm, but so can earthworms.

Just think of it as extra protein. And be grateful you don't have access to the list of what chickens ingest daily - I'm confident it's really, really nasty.

8. Chickygirl55

Chickygirl55 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Yup mine love mice too and it seems the mice love thier food so they get plenty of mice in thier diet when they can catch them that is lol. Ive seen both the keep away version and tug of war unfortunately and none of my chickens seem the worse for wear so far.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by