Mouse Poison and the Chicken that ate the tiny mouse that ate the ...

That might depend on the amount of poison the mouse ingested and the time the mouse was already dead before the hen gobbled her down. The effect of newer poisons will last much longer than of older ones.

You could open up her beak to look inside for pinpoint haemorrhages (petechia) on her mucosa. And swipe her eyes with a moist tissue.

What was the exact active agent of the mouse poison used?

@LaFleche - here’s what the ingredient is on the container. No blood in droppings or on rear end ... too early to tell?

Attachments

• CAF59F06-0396-47FC-B4DB-D6B1A18D4E31.jpeg
    CAF59F06-0396-47FC-B4DB-D6B1A18D4E31.jpeg
    96.3 KB · Views: 17
@LaFleche - here’s what the ingredient is on the container. No blood in droppings or on rear end ... too early to tell?
This is actually a second generation rodenticide which is even more toxic than warfarin etc. and the anticoagulant effect lasts much longer too. So it is important to continue with the vitamin k treatment accordingly.

I would separate the hen to be able to discard her eggs.

This is actually a second generation rodenticide which is even more toxic than warfarin etc. and the anticoagulant effect lasts much longer too. So it is important to continue with the vitamin k treatment accordingly.

I would separate the hen to be able to discard her eggs.
@LaFleche - I do not know how much to give her- are you able to help me with that?

Also - if by some chance she caught the mouse instead of eating a poisoned one and I give her VK, is that a bad thing?

Also - if by some chance she caught the mouse instead of eating a poisoned one and I give her VK, is that a bad thing?
That might cause blod clotting which might lead to stroke or heart attack.

It sounds as if right now you are not sure if your hen ingested a poisoned mouse at all. If that is the case, it might be better to wait if symptoms occur. But I would keep her separate to be able to discard her eggs anyway.

@LaFleche - I do not know how much to give her- are you able to help me with that?
If your local farm vet does not know the correct dosage, maybe call another vet who might know.
As chickens have a fast metabolism, I suppose the dosage would have to be different from what it would be for mammals (dog, cats etc.) But I am no vet and thus cannot give you further advice, sorry.

That might cause blod clotting which might lead to stroke or heart attack.

It sounds as if right now you are not sure if your hen ingested a poisoned mouse at all. If that is the case, it might be better to wait if symptoms occur. But I would keep her separate to be able to discard her eggs anyway.
Ugh. See my follow up. I see a diff colored poop on the roost -not sure if that’s blood or orangish because they were eating tomatoes. I will try to find a farm vet tomorrow. In meantime she’s had a dose of VK

Attachments

• E4EB87E5-593C-43BE-961B-E36035116A9A.jpeg
    E4EB87E5-593C-43BE-961B-E36035116A9A.jpeg
    110.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 5A62CEBC-8D2E-49B9-8483-45485E89C753.jpeg
    5A62CEBC-8D2E-49B9-8483-45485E89C753.jpeg
    131.9 KB · Views: 14
Well, it seems to have started as the urates have become orange.

Do not feed her tomatoes, just the regular chicken feed so we can try to determine the cause for the orange in her urates.

Edit to add: And you could put some white paper towel underneath her roost to get a clearer picture of the exact colour of her droppings.

I'm so sorry. I hope she is alright and didn't ingest the mouse. If she did, I hope you have the timely antidote. This is the main reason I don't use poisons, not only for my chickens but also for the wild birds who share this space.

Back
Top Bottom