Movable pen

Jun 17, 2018
Western New York
My parents don't want my chickens free ranging due to a corn field behind our house and our neighbors gardens. So i was looking into building a movable pen for them to go into during the day and put them into the coop at night and do a deep litter in their perm run for winter and when I cant let them out. Should I buy 150ft of 4ft for $80 chicken wire or a 50 ft 6ft tall roll for $60. My budget is around $100. Which one should I buy? Im hesitant to buy the 4ft because they might fly over it. I know about clipping their wings but Id have no idea what Id be doing and im worried I'd hurt my birds. I've never really seen them fly before. I dont think they even have the space to take off in the run they have currently.

As AlleysChicks stated, a wire top is needed, you can throw a tarp over it if need be.
This is what my Hubby built for me - Frame is PVC w/chicken wire but in your case you'd need to use hardware cloth as you have predators lurking. The top I use shade cloth & tarp but also have a bin for shelter from rain. Each panel is held together with elastic ties & the top w/small bungee cords. To move I just pull it to where I need it but thinking the Moveable Tractors would be more what you have in mind....Not sure how many chickens you have, I'm limited to 6.
DSC04356.JPG

As AlleysChicks stated, a wire top is needed, you can throw a tarp over it if need be.
This is what my Hubby built for me - Frame is PVC w/chicken wire but in your case you'd need to use hardware cloth as you have predators lurking. The top I use shade cloth & tarp but also have a bin for shelter from rain. Each panel is held together with elastic ties & the top w/small bungee cords. To move I just pull it to where I need it but thinking the Moveable Tractors would be more what you have in mind....Not sure how many chickens you have, I'm limited to 6.View attachment 1484747
Something like that would be awesome! How much did it cost to build that i have a couple scraps of chicken wire too so it might just be enough. I think the only predators around would be a hawk during the day that would be the only time theyre in there. my dogs would go crazy if anything managed to sneak out there and I'm sure my rooster would make plenty of noise.

Last edited:
It's been years, don't recall how much it cost but things do cost here in HI .... I'm told "shipping" :rolleyes: True Patriot's idea is a good one; a pop up canopy wrapped in chicken wire. That way you have head room, I need to bend to get the girls & put their feed/water. You really need to figure size then call around for material prices which I'm sure is alot less than here :(

For the top you could use something like bird netting, it's light and pretty easy to work with. Since cost is an issue you can probably get one of the cheaper ones to function as a hawk deterrant. Unless you get heavy snow, snow should be able to fall through if you get at least 1" holes.

Back
Top Bottom