Move broody duck and her nest?

latherunner

In the Brooder
10 Years
Dec 11, 2009
Brighton, CO
My birds all free range and I had a Khaki Campbell duck go broody a few weeks back and I was never able to find her nest. She would show up every other day or so and get a drink and then disappear again. Well, yesterday she was running back and forth in the yard makin a bunch of noise so I knew something was wrong. I looked in the bushes and found a 3 1/2' rattlesnake and a 4' bull snake right by her nest. These 2 snakes won't be a problem again but I'd like to move her and her nest somewhere safe. We have a lot of coyotes, coons, feral cats, snakes, etc that would love to find her nest and ducklings. She has been missing for a few weeks now so I believe they will be hatching any time. Can I move her and the nest? Is there a better time of day/night to do it? Can I candle the eggs?

Thanks!

Honestly I think it depends on the duck herself. I've moved my ducks' nests with success, trick was put her in a safe place that I could shut up, she paced for a few minutes by the door but then settled in, my other gal is so easy going she just didn't care that I moved the nest and settled back in immediately LOL

Michelle

Back
Top Bottom