Move her or Not?

Penny spender

Songster
5 Years
May 17, 2016
Peach has eggs that will hatch mid-next week and currently she's just in the mail coop, which is small (4' x 6') but has attached run, and the other hens free range all day and don't bother her. Speckles has decided this week, that she wants babies too (found her sitting on top of Peach and the eggs this morning!! Lol) Speckles successfully raised chicks in this community coop last summer, so I'm not worried about the other hens, but space is very limited. I also have a 8' x 10' shed currently occupied by 5 nine week old chicks, but it gets very hot so I leave the door open and the little ones free range too. I would like to move Peach to the shed to raise her babies, but I need to leave the shed door open for airflow. Should I lock Peach and eggs into a dog crate in the shed for a few days (hoping her GPS resets), or just leave her in the main coop where she can come and go as she pleases?

Attachments

• 20180620_185253.jpg
    20180620_185253.jpg
    640.2 KB · Views: 5
That is a bit tricky.

I find main coop broody works only if you can block the main nest on lock down days, otherwise, other hens trying to lay in the nest disturb hatching. I have sadly come to crushed chicks as mom tries to bear up under the weight of another hen.

Moving at this point, a week away from hatch, is risky. Some hens really, really attach to the spot. I disturbed a hen unintentionally at day 18, and she flew the nest spot and went elsewhere. I had to round her up again to resettle her in the old spot.

I'd try to block off that nest in the main coop if possible.

Second thought is to get a milk crate, or even card board box that fits the current nest area, and put mom inside that, with current bedding and eggs, and all of that inside her current nesting area. Then in a day or so, after mom has really settled, move the whole thing to an isolated area by cover of night. Chances are she'll relocate with the whole thing better than just her into a new area with the eggs.

My thoughts.
LofMc

Back
Top Bottom