Moved chicks to coop, any preventative measures?

Bogie225

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 8, 2013
Ashley, Ohio
Just moved my 5 week old chicks into their coop. The coop was last occupied a little less than a year ago by the chickens of the previous owners of the house. Still have some cool nights so I have their heat lamp on a timer. Is there anything that I should do to prevent any health issues or have on hand just in case?

So far it has been easier and more enjoyable than I thought it would be raising chickens. I have 5 Barred Rocks and 6 Rhode Island Reds (all hens - I hope)

Tom

I would thoroughly clean and disinfect the coop with all new bedding. Some diseases can live for years without a host. Better to be safe than sorry.
Otherwise just keep it clean and give a heat lamp when it's below 70 for a couple more weeks.

I would make sure that the entire coop was secured with no way for any predators to get in. I would do a full sweep of the run (if you have an enclosed fenced in pen with the coop). Make sure that there is no way for anything to get in or dig under to get at your little babies! Cheers!

When I cleaned out the coop I did scrub/spray/scrape it down but did not disinfect it. The next time I clean it what should I use as a disinfectant? I think that I read somewhere here (I have read so much on this forum!) that people use a vinegar spray - if so what concentration? White, regular, apple cider? Is there any thing I should apply or add to control mites and other pests (I know the birds will eat insects)?

As for security from predators - the coop itself is very secure and well ventilated. All openings are covered with hardware cloth. The run is only covered with chicken wire and I plan to replace it with hardware cloth as I am able.

Should I have any meds on hand?

All advice is greatly and enthusiastically appreciated (even if unrelated to my original post)! Looking forward to those first eggs sometime around the end of August.

Thanks!

Tom

I would thoroughly clean and disinfect the coop with all new bedding. Some diseases can live for years without a host. Better to be safe than sorry.
Otherwise just keep it clean and give a heat lamp when it's below 70 for a couple more weeks.
goodpost.gif

Definitely second that! Make sure the coop is cleaned and disinfected! You don't know what shape the last owner's chickens were in. My coop was empty of chickens for a minimum of 2 years (that's how long this house stood vacant until we bought it in January) and I didn't take any chances. I cleaned it out thoroughly...threw all the old pine shaving bedding out in the woods, far from the coop. Sprayed the floor and walls with bleach water, scrubbed, and rinsed. Then (probably overkill since I used bleach) I sprayed every surface with lysol. It had over a month to air dry, since I hadn't even gotten my chicks yet. I feel much more confident that no diseases carried over from the previous owner's chickens since I cleaned the coop.

When I cleaned out the coop I did scrub/spray/scrape it down but did not disinfect it. The next time I clean it what should I use as a disinfectant? I think that I read somewhere here (I have read so much on this forum!) that people use a vinegar spray - if so what concentration? White, regular, apple cider? Is there any thing I should apply or add to control mites and other pests (I know the birds will eat insects)?

As for security from predators - the coop itself is very secure and well ventilated. All openings are covered with hardware cloth. The run is only covered with chicken wire and I plan to replace it with hardware cloth as I am able.

Should I have any meds on hand?

All advice is greatly and enthusiastically appreciated (even if unrelated to my original post)! Looking forward to those first eggs sometime around the end of August.

Thanks!

Tom

Most people here use Seven for mite/bug control. Others use diatomaceous earth (DE for short). Some people swear by DE, some say it's a waste of your money. I haven't used either one yet, so I can't give my own opinion on it, but I do have some DE (food grade) for my food storage...it keeps the bugs out. I plan on using the DE once the weather dries up a bit...DE is useless once it becomes wet.

If you have a TS or other feed store close by, there's really no reason to stock up on meds until you need them...otherwise they'll go out of date and you just waste your money. BUT...if you haven't already been using it...I highly recommend getting Apple Cider Vinegar with the mother and add it to your chicks' water. It keeps them healthy, and your risk of illnesses is smaller than if you don't use it. There are many, many benefits of using ACV.

Back
Top Bottom