Moved loft only about 30 feet--issues with homing?

LamarshFish

Crowing
9 Years
Mar 26, 2015
I ended up moving my loft from the back of my small lot about 15 meters to the back of my home, for two reasons (1) so my loft opening will face south, not norht, and (2) so I have access to electricity to keep their water from freezing.

The back of my house, where the loft is now, was part of my birds' view from their old loft location. I used a settling cage for a week so the birds could look at their new view, however, it is essentially the same view they had of my yard from the old loft location. Keep in mind, I only moved my loft about 15 meters.

I settled my birds to the new location/view for a week, and loft flew them yesterday. 6 of my 9 birds returned no problem, and I am still missing 3. These 9 birds have been flying no problem for months, and always return. Where I live, it is towards the very end of the hawk migration, plus I live in an area where I very very rarely even see hawks, we are in the city.

I am wondering if my 3 missing birds just met a fate that is at risk any time you fly, or if this has anything to do with relocating my loft. I only moved my loft a very short distance. They have only been missing for 24 hours. I have had a few of my current birds go missing for up to 3 days, but it was during warmer temps. It is somewhat cold here right now, low 30s at night, high 40s during the day.

Someone posted an old army handbook on how to care for the homers that they used in the military and they moved them often, they trained them to look for their loft, not the location they were supposed to be in. I would imagine your birds both know the location and what the loft looks like from the air and a reasonably bright bird would just go to the loft.

Someone posted an old army handbook on how to care for the homers that they used in the military and they moved them often, they trained them to look for their loft, not the location they were supposed to be in. I would imagine your birds both know the location and what the loft looks like from the air and a reasonably bright bird would just go to the loft.

Haha, that was me. That manual is good. Yes, the US Military used to use mobile lofts. I was banking on this principal, but I think they used to move them quite often and the birds got more used to looking for the actual loft.

No they will have no problem with that. I should say my birds would have no problem with that. If they could not adapt to that short move they are not much of a loss.

That is what I thought. They must have gotten scattered by a hawk or something. I hope they come back.

Could you pm me link/info on?

Back
Top Bottom