Moved my hen to "Hospice" Today... :(

Taylor

Songster
11 Years
Dec 14, 2008
i've been giving her Diatomaceous earth, wazine and herbs. i try to go the natural way to treat chickens except the wazine. DE has help save many chickens i have owned! wheatgrass also has healing power in it too. she loves that stuff! the wheatgrass, DE, Wazine have helped her. maybe natural stuff is better than chemical medications for chickens. just a theory. she is still doing fine, she is laying down for the night.

Taylor

Songster
11 Years
Dec 14, 2008
thank-you!! thats probably why she's lived to be 11 by using natural meds.

RoosterRidge

Songster
8 Years
Jun 14, 2011
Dry Fork, Va.
Quote:I have followed a post about a roo named Lucky... He was found on the side of the road in the pouring rain with his leg broke and his beak broken in several places... His age is not known but you can tell he has had a hard life... He is now able to eat on his own and stand thanks to his new mommy bracing his leg in a sling... You can look at the pics from when she found him and now... He looks amazing and he now probably for the first time knows what it feels like to be loved... Lets hope someone would care for us if need be and not just put us down... I had to several cats to sleep because they were suffering but I tried everything else I could before doing this... Thank you for not giving up on your girl... I don't have any human children so my animals are my kids maybe that is why I feel this way... She may still pass but she will know she was loved for sure...

Taylor

Songster
11 Years
Dec 14, 2008
UPDATE: She passed away overnight, around 3 a.m due to mistreatment from the other hens in the coop. the other day she got much better, comb reddened back up, poop as back to normal, started putting weight back on, and i put her back into the coop and the next ouple days went very well, and saturday she was knocked out by another chicken who pecked her in the head way too hard. i put her over in the recovery pen and cared after her, then the i put her back in the lot and it rained all last night and the hens wouldn't let her come in and roost so she stayed out all night and drowned from all the rain.
i felt so bad!!!! but she lived a long life!
she will be greatly missed!!!!

Nina, my best friend to the end!

Born: 2/11/2000 Died: 11/28/2011

peterlund

Songster
9 Years
Jan 29, 2010
MA Cranberry Country
Boy oh boy did you do your best, and I am proud for you. It is always easier to cull, and for many circumstances it is best... but I can imagine the special place this old girl had in your heart. You did good!.. And yes, her fellow sisters are cruel and inhuman, but that is just our human opinion right. Tomorrow will be better.... I promise.

Taylor

Songster
11 Years
Dec 14, 2008
Quote:thank-you SOOO MUCH for the encouragement! I pray tomorrow will be better, she would always come to greet me everyday when i would come home!
she has had soooo many children in the past, she would go broody in the spring as she got older and would be a OUTSTANDING mom to them!!! and she would always let me hold her and hug her and he was my BF in the chicken world! man the history she has lived through! she was hatched out and lived in a shack for 2 years, then when i built a little bit better coop she lived in it for 3 yrs, then i let my grandfather have her for a couple of years, then she came back to live with me and I finally got the bigger coop built which still stands and she was the first chicken in the new coop!
a memory I have of her, and she was the first to crap in the new house too! LOL
she has been through thick and thin throughout the years. But I believe she is in a MUCH BETTER place!!!! RIP Nina!

Latest posts

Top Bottom