Moving 7 Weekers Outside?

mylilchix

Songster
11 Years
Jun 11, 2008
Front Range, Colorado
I'm almost finished remodeling my bantam coop. As soon as it's done I'm moving my 3 month old Pekins out there. I also have 2, 7 w/o Ameraucanas in the house that I'm debating about moving out with them. Do you think they'll get too cold w/o a light at night? It's been in the 60s during the day and 30s at night, but we're supposed to have a cold front come through next week.

Thanks,
Sonja

Yes I think they will be too cold at night. They are probably not fully feathered yet and they need to be in order to keep body heat in.

ETA: Without a lamp that is....

Last edited:
My three week old Delawares are already outside in their own coop, with one 125 watt heat lamp and a 60 watt red reptile bulb as a backup in case the first one goes out. A 7 week old will probably be fine, provided their coop is draft free and dry.

My two week old babies are outside on my porch with 2 250 watt lights on one end.They stayed out there with temps in the 20's a couple of nights but I just put a blanket around the cage and it was nice and warm inside.They just need protection.

I moved my 10 chicks outside to the coop last weekend. So far they seem fine. Actually, they seem thrilled to have all that space! I'm having a blast watching them play! I have a 250 watt lamp in there, but they aren't using it much during the day. I do see them use it at night now that it's gotten cooler again. I'm loving having them out there....where I can actually BE with them, playing with them, rather than hovering over them as I was when they were in the brooder. And watching them play is just a blast!

Angie

Hmm, maybe I will try them out there. I still have space in the house f they get cold. The coop is wired for electric, I just haven't plugged it in yet. They're getting so big, Id like to get them out of my house before my next shipment of chicks arrives.
yippiechickie.gif

Sonja

I moved my 7 week old RIR's, BO's, and BR's outside this week too. They are fully feathered but it got to 20 degrees a few nights ago. They had pine shavings, a 250 watt red heat lamp, but no insulation yet except for each other and they were just fine. I checked on them 3 times during the night and the weather didn't seem to phase them at all. I did add 4 straw bales and one more heat lamp today to hold the heat in a bit more. I also take them warmer water and warm instant oatmeal as a treat before bed. I think that yours should be fine too.....with a lamp. Good luck to ya!

Last edited:
I did insulate part of their coop, and my big coop blocks some of the wind. I may put them out the middle of next week (they'll be 8 weeks this Saturday), we're supposed to get a storm on Monday. I think after that passes it may be safe to put them out. I just want to make sure they're safe and sound!!

Sonja

I've got a question...I've got 8, 5 w/o babies that are nearly fully feathered. For those of you moving them out early...do you let them out of the coop during the day? Also, I've got 2 grown hens in the coop/chicken yard already...they have no problem dealing with the local cats...most of them have learned to stay away and our cat still goes in there, but he just watches them and if he gets to close the chickens puff themselves up and chase him away. Since the babies have been in the house our cat has thought they should be a meal for him. He of course hasn't gotten them, but once they're outside would the older hens be enough of a deterrent for him? Ok, one more question...do you put the babies in at night like you would if you were introducing a new grown hen? Sorry for all the questions...I'm still new to this.
hide.gif

Back
Top Bottom