Moving 8 week old chics to the coop

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chicken_ladyGA, Nov 4, 2008.

1. chicken_ladyGA

chicken_ladyGA Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2008
    Chatsworth,Georgia
    I have 8 week old chics dying to get out of the brooder box. They are constantly trying to fly out . Our nights get to about 40 here . I have about 20 older birds in the coop that free range of the day . I dont have electricity in the coop nor can i afford to run wiring. Will they be safe if maybe i build a fence in the coop w leftover chicken wire ? And will it be too cold . The floor is plenty deep with pine shaving . Birds are good sized and fully feathered . THank YOu for all ya'lls help!! [​IMG]

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    If you can create some type of cage or barrier to keep the older chickens from harrassing the youngsters than moving them to the coop is fine. You'd be surprised at how much body heat a flock of chickens will put off.

3. LocoPollo

LocoPollo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2008
    Ellijay, GA
    My coop is surrounded by a fence as a run and I have no electricity or water on the property. When I bring in new chickens, I put them in their own little transitional coup and run inside the fenced in area so they get accostomed to the area and the other birds. After a couple of weeks in there (not sure it has to be that long) they are fine with the other birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by