Moving a broody hen and eggs

Allisonbrizburk

In the Brooder
Aug 11, 2022
Im not sure if this is the right place to post this or if it's been discussed - I looked and didn't find exactly my question. If there's a thread already maybe someone can provide the link?

One of my hens went broody in the forest behind my horse pasture. Not safe from predators or my cat that kills everything. I was concerned my cat would promptly kill the chicks - he killed all my wild rabbits. So, when the hen was off the nest today I move 21 eggs to an area I created for her in my barn. I'm terrified I've ruined all this effort of hers and I feel absolutely horrible. I put her on the eggs but she was far too upset to sit.

What do I do now? Was this a huge mistake?

I did this with my broody hen and she also threw a fit. I've heard moving them at night while they're asleep and putting a towel over them while you transport them helps. Also waiting until they're further along. In your case I don't think you have many options but to wait and hope she settles.

I was never successful moving a broody and her eggs therefore,, I do not have good advice. By the sound of it, if she doesn't settle by tomorrow, you'll need to try your hand at incubation yourself.
Keep us posted!
I don't have an incubator, not sure that's a good option for me right now. There's 21 eggs and she's only been on them a week.

I don't have an incubator, not sure that's a good option for me right now. There's 21 eggs and she's only been on them a week.
Oh dear, if only a week she may give up. I moved my broodies on Day 15 and two of them settled in but one just flipped out and was causing a lot of chaos so I had to move her back without eggs and that broke her broodiness. She hasn’t been since then either. I hope your broody momma settles down, you may need to move them back and hope that she’s okay with it. Any way you could get something and put it around where she prefers to sit? I’m sorry! They’re so fussy!

I move mine to a hatching cage. My other chickens will kill any chicks. I use milk crates as nest boxes so I have a setup just like that in the cage. Move her at night and normally they settle in when they wake up in the morning.

Broody hens imprint on the location, not the eggs. If you move one you need a cage that she cannot get out of with a nest, food, and water and not much more room. Plan on leaving her in there until she hatches.

Some broody hens will accept that move and some won't. I find it works better if the new nest is kind of dark. Moving at night seems to work better plus in your situation she'd probably be easier to catch at night. It can help if you leave her locked in that nest only most of the next day. It's dark and it seems to help them accept the move.

I don't know if she is back on her old nest. She has only been broody for a week so you have time. If she is on her old nest prepare a cage with a nest and such, put a few sacrificial eggs in the new nest, and lock her in there tonight. Start collecting fertile eggs you want her to hatch, no more than 12. 21 is way too many. If she accepts the move replace the two or three sacrificial eggs with what you have collected and start the countdown. Or you can put all you want her to hatch in that nest to start with. If she accepts the move let her hatch them. If she doesn't accept the move you can probably still eat them but you might consider them sacrificial. The important thing is that all the eggs start incubation at the same time.

Oh dear, if only a week she may give up. I moved my broodies on Day 15 and two of them settled in but one just flipped out and was causing a lot of chaos so I had to move her back without eggs and that broke her broodiness. She hasn’t been since then either. I hope your broody momma settles down, you may need to move them back and hope that she’s okay with it. Any way you could get something and put it around where she prefers to sit? I’m sorry! They’re so fussy!
She didn't sit, she left them. I really hope I didn't ruin her broodiness. She's back in the rafters with the others. If she sits on a nest again I'll leave her alone

Back
Top Bottom