Moving and need help, please

Shelby

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 16, 2007
Lauderdale, MS
We're getting ready to move, and I need some helpful advice on moving my chickens, ducks and geese.
It's only a half hour ride, buy I'd like to keep the trauma down for them.
Covered trailer? Open, with chicken wire? Whatwhatwhat?????Lol!

well good luck with your move - we are also moving and having the same problem asyou - how to move everyone without the stress. I have 5 dogs, 2 ducks,1 rooster,1 Bo hen, and 20 baby chicks all about month old so when you find a way to move everyone please let me know LOL

Julie

If it were me I'd put them in cardboard boxes with plenty of air holes... it'll be dark and they should be calm... and duct tape the boxes shut.. plenty of duct tape if you are moving them in a trailer.
I'd be scared to death to stick them in a trailer with chicken wire around... a bit too breezy I'd think!
smile.png

Or if you have a dog kennel or cage you can put them in that and cover it with a blanket. I guess it just depends how many you need to move.

I'd borrow someone's full-size longbed 1/2 ton p/u truck that has a shell on it (with windows and screens over the windows preferably) and transport all the full-sized birds in it at one time, then come back and put the chicks in a big box (with holes, like another poster said) and move them next.

It kinda depends on what you are moving them in and the weather. If you have a car, I'd use the cardboard boxes as mentioned. But, with a pickup truck, I'd use wire cages. If it's raining you can cover them with a tarp. Since you are only going 30 min away, think about cages, for the big birds, and boxes for the chickens and smaller birds and think about moving them at night. If you can catch/transport/set on new roost when they are in their "zombie" state, it will be far less tramatic and they'll, basically, wake up in a new world. We moved our 5 chickens in a wire cage in a pickup truck for 7 hours and they did fine.

Thank-you for the advice -our move is coming up this weekend and we are moving all the aniamls last- the dogsare no problem they all love to go for rides anyway. The rooster is the one that will give us the most problems he does not like to be held and getting him in a cardboard will be a sight I am sure LOL
The little chicks should be the easiest and we are moving them last since they stil have to be in the house seeing they are only about a month old.
Than that only leaves the one outside hen and my two ducks so our move should hopefully be alright.

Julie

I moved 900 miles with 60+ birds. Roosters went into their own boxes, as did the pheasants( we kept pairs paired though) Most standard hens all went into a giant wire pen about 5ft long and 4 ft wide, smaller bantams and others were paired up with buddies in boxes. The whole lot was caught up the evening before and then loaded into a covered trailer. They all did great and are happy healthy reproducing birds now. We didn't loose a one
smile.png

As we get closer and closer to the big day, my nerves are getting more and more shot!
We have 54 grown chickens, 12 babies, two turkeys, 5 ducks, 4 geese and two large roosters
that want nothing more than to kill one another. Add to that, the two turkeys hate both of the roosters, and want to rip them to pieces.
Three dogs, and seven cats. This will take ninety-eleven trips, I think.
I am getting too darn old for all this, but I'm still excited about the move!
When we come to some kind of weird decision about transport, I'll post some pics.

Heh heh....all those birds and this one doesn't like that one and that one doesn't like the next one...reminds me of that riddle (if I remember it right) goes something like this:

You have a chicken, a fox, and a handful of chicken feed. You have to get them across the river in your canoe but can only take two at a time with you in the canoe without the hen eating the feed or the fox eating the hen. How do you do it?

I heard that when I was about 16 years old I think and got it figured out in about 10 minutes...had to scribble on paper though, lol.

Back
Top Bottom