Moving Baby Chicks Outside

danielle2003

Songster
Apr 27, 2021
Langley, Oklahoma
Hello everyone, I have 3 Buff Orpington pullets. They are 8 weeks old. I was wondering if they could sleep outside yet. I've been letting them out for most of the day from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. and they are doing great. Currently, I am keeping them in our bathroom (which is starting to smell, even though I clean their brooder every day) and I was hoping that they could live outside full time soon. The problem is they are still kind of small, and I'm worried that my 4 adult Australorps might pick on them. During the day, they ignore them, but at night, with them being so close together, they could pick on them. They also don't know how to climb the ladder to get into the nesting area.
Temperatures here will drop to about 33 degrees at night. Is that too cold for them at such a young age? They are fully feathered.

As long as they are fully feathered, they should be fine. On the coldest nights, I would probably put them inside, but for the nights that are above 35-40, they should be fine outside.

You have to teach them to climb the ladder to get to the nest box area.

The temps aren't the concern, the integration is.

I have birds outside in the 60s at two weeks, if its sunny and not much breeze, brought in at night. The sleep in an outdoor grow out pen from 3 weeks to usually 8-9 weeks while they see, and are seen by, the adult flock. At 9 weeks, they join the adult flock.

Now, I do this constantly, so my flocks are always integrating, with a shake up every 3 weeks (because I hatch my own). It works very well for me.

Since your birds are more "set" in their ways and pecking order, see/be seen may take longer, and integration may go less smoothly.

I'm basically doing the same thing as you. I have 2 2 month old EE pullets and a 1 month old d'Uccle pullet... in a brooder in my living room. I know, it's not the best setup, but I'm waiting for a good time to get a coop to house them and my 2 POL d'Uccles that are outside in a temporary tractor together. The indoor pullets go outside during the day. I agree, not ideal, but it's the best I can do right now. I guess it was for the best, as one of the EEs has developed wry neck and I can keep an eye on her better inside.

Back
Top Bottom