Moving chickens to coop for first time and temps are in the 100's.

I like this article okay.

https://farmhouseguide.com/best-chicken-breeds-for-hot-climates/

I would not get dominiques if I was in a hot weather climate, though. Any breed that they say does well in cold weather will not do well in a hot climate like CA or FL, IMO.

Also, the McMurray Hatchery catalog does a great job of showing heat tolerant breeds that they carry. You can view it at their website.
Thanks so much! I'll look at the article.

Thanks so much! I'll look at the article.
Getting more heat tolerant breeds is the place to start, then I would just follow all the advice in the thread: deep shade, cooling methods, electrolytes, having an colder place to bring them to if they seem too affected, getting them used to it slowly when they are young, etc. I think that is the best that you can do, then just read the birds and react to them as needed.

Good luck!

I just read a thread yesterday with some folks saying feeding wet feed helps to keep them cool and hydrated. Just add water to your regular feed and then serve, or let it soak it up first.

If you ever get a choice you can get heat-hardy breeds, too. Good luck!
Yes I have chopped up frozen grapes. I did get them from my local feed store so they are heart tolerant I was just worried about the 30° difference in temp day one.
Happy to say, they went out this morning and are doing well.

I have hens that are about 6 weeks and fully feathered. For the last couple weeks they have been indoors in the AC.
I can't keep them locked in the coop for the first few days bc I would probably cook them.
I don't know how to do this and I'm afraid the heat will be too much. Help!!! I need direction!
We put ours out in the run during the day at first. I didn’t want to lock mine in the coop for days so we just put them in one by one at night the first night. The second night 10 went in by themselves and other four I had to put in myself. The next night I only had to put 2 in myself and now they all go in at bedtime on their own.

Back
Top Bottom