Moving chickens to new property - advise needed

I have found that chickens are pretty easy to relocate. Personally, I wouldn't confine them to the coop. Put them in the coop when they first get there but then let them explore on their own. If there is a nice big run then let them explore it. Your friend may have to shoo them in the coop that first night but they will be fine after that. You may find that the pecking order changes when they are ALL going to a new home together.

I know it's hard to trust other people to care for your birds the way you do. But as long as they have a safe enclosure and plenty of feed and water they will be fine. Just relax and enjoy your vacation! ;)

I have found that chickens are pretty easy to relocate. Personally, I wouldn't confine them to the coop. Put them in the coop when they first get there but then let them explore on their own. If there is a nice big run then let them explore it. Your friend may have to shoo them in the coop that first night but they will be fine after that. You may find that the pecking order changes when they are ALL going to a new home together.

I know it's hard to trust other people to care for your birds the way you do. But as long as they have a safe enclosure and plenty of feed and water they will be fine. Just relax and enjoy your vacation! ;)

Thank you!!

Oh, I also have a few baby chickens and two chickens to move right now, did you manage to move them in one piece? I'm not as worried about the hens as about the babies, it looks like I'll have to keep them in a box in my arms the whole way... I'm currently looking for a moving company that would be willing to take my animals. So far I`ve contacted a local company, and several others in a neighboring state. I`ve heard that there`re special brooders just for transporting babies, should I buy one? I'm not sure if I'm going to have another move anytime soon besides the one that's coming up. Any tips would be appreciated!
I just ended up putting them in boxes in the back of my mini van 🤷🏼‍♀️ they were only going 2.5 hours.

I used boxes that our hydrogen peroxide comes in for the well.

All went well! Good luck!

Oh, I also have a few baby chickens and two chickens to move right now, did you manage to move them in one piece? I'm not as worried about the hens as about the babies, it looks like I'll have to keep them in a box in my arms the whole way... I'm currently looking for a moving company that would be willing to take my animals. So far I`ve contacted a local company, and several others in a neighboring state. I`ve heard that there`re special brooders just for transporting babies, should I buy one? I'm not sure if I'm going to have another move anytime soon besides the one that's coming up. Any tips would be appreciated!
How long would the babies be without heat and how old are they?

Back
Top Bottom