moving chicks to the coop

poniesforever

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 21, 2012
Heres the situation... I have 20 chicks, 6 are 16 days old, the rest are all 10 days old... as of today Friday. I have no other chickens, and it was suggested that maybe I could move them to the coop already, with the heat lamp... since there are no big chickens in there... The brooder I have they are quickly out growing. The coop is finally done, and I can put the heat lamp out there for them... we are in Maine so nights still get chilly. Do you think this will be okay? or should I build a bigger brooder?

If I shouldn't move them to the coop yet, at what age should I do that?

Also, if its okay to move them at this time (with the heat lamp), then what time of day is best to move them??

The coop is completely enclosed, with a window, which I can open for them, (it gets hot in there in the afternoons) and we put chicken wire over the window so they can't get out. and other birds, or animals can't get in.

This is all new to me, so any help is appreciated!

When my first set of chicks outgrew their brooder I did just move them into their permanent coop with their light. I kept it closed up for several more days before letting them into the run. I actually think this helped them learn quicker how to put themselves up in the evenings because it only took a couple of nights of me helping them figure it out once they did get to come out. Either that or I just had smart chicks!
tongue.png
I would think moving them out at the warmest time of the day would be the best. Also, if you're able to set the light up in the coop before you move them so it's brooder temp when they get in there that might be nice too. You may have to have a couple of different bulbs- one ofr day and one higher watt for night when it cools down.

I say move 'em out! When we move ours out my husband wants the light out there, even though all of the reading I've done on here says they'll be fine (they have nearly all of their feathers). Good luck & keep us posted!
big_smile.png

Okay, then I guess I'll move'em out there... tomorrow if things workout right. I will get the light out there first, and make sure its warm enough. Of course we're suppose to get rain for the next few days. But, thats why they'll keep their light with'em, so they can stay warm!

Thanks for the info... I will let you know how it works!

I moved the chicks out to their coop today. So far, most of them are huddling in a corner. I moved the heat lamp as close as I could to the corner they're staying in most of the time. Boy I hope they'll be warm enough out there. The rain has held off most of the day, but its suppose to start raining hard tonight, and all day tomorrow. If it drops to cold in their coop, I'll bring them back in.

I have a new question tho... I have heard some breeds are aggressive toward other breeds. I didn't think to much of it, as I figured, if they are raised together from day one, they should get along. Heres what I have, 4 Ameraucanas (easter eggers), 1 white leg horn, 3 Salmon Faverolles (so far these are the smallest and calmest of them all), 5 golden laced Polish, 1 rhode island red, 6 buff orpingtons... I am stunned that, now that I have them out in the coop... the polish chicks are actually challenging each other and some of the other chicks... also... a couple are even charging at me... they are only 11 days old!!! Well, clearly I am not afraid of them, and I continue to make of them, and hope they come out friendly as some of the others... but my question is... is this a typical behavior for the Polish chickens?? Its kinda funny, but at the same time, I'll not keep agressive chickens. They may end up in the freezer come fall. Maybe its just the male ones who are like this... a couple don't seem to be as bad...

I have a new question tho... I have heard some breeds are aggressive toward other breeds. I didn't think to much of it, as I figured, if they are raised together from day one, they should get along. Heres what I have, 4 Ameraucanas (easter eggers), 1 white leg horn, 3 Salmon Faverolles (so far these are the smallest and calmest of them all), 5 golden laced Polish, 1 rhode island red, 6 buff orpingtons... I am stunned that, now that I have them out in the coop... the polish chicks are actually challenging each other and some of the other chicks... also... a couple are even charging at me... they are only 11 days old!!! Well, clearly I am not afraid of them, and I continue to make of them, and hope they come out friendly as some of the others... but my question is... is this a typical behavior for the Polish chickens?? Its kinda funny, but at the same time, I'll not keep agressive chickens. They may end up in the freezer come fall. Maybe its just the male ones who are like this... a couple don't seem to be as bad...
I have 40 adult chickens, most pure breed, a few mixes, no more than 2 of a breed, and they all get along fine. I wouldn't worry about it, especially if they are raised together. Not that you won't find some that are more aggressive, but likely never to the point of harm to another chicken.

Thank you for the reminder of danger from heat lamps. I did buy the safest one on the market... the coop is seperate from the barn also. Of course none of that matters, if anything were to happen, fires are always a danger. Tho I have tried to be extra careful. I just came back from checking on the chicks, since its getting dark here now, and they are snuggling under the lamp. I will check on them again before I go to bed tho. I should have messured how far my lamp guard is from the floor, but I didn't think of it til now.

Also thanks for the advice about the breeds. Just as I figured, it seems to me, they ought to get along if raised together! Nice to be reassured! Thank You!

Hi Poniesforever! I am also in Maine- we have 5 chicks that will be 5 weeks old next week...and they are still in the house in the brooder!!! The coop is not finished yet- this rain this weekend is really holding things up. We have a nice big brooder...but still, it's time to get them out. We will also be adding 5 more to the group next weekend, which will all be about a week older than the bunch we have now. I've got 3 EEs and 2 white rocks now, and we are adding 3 buff orpingtons and 2 barred rocks.

How have yours been so far in the coop?

One more thing. You said that you have chicken wire over the window. You may want to change that to hardware cloth for more protection. As said on the forums often - chicken wire keeps chickens in, but doesn't keep predators out. I just want your chicks to be safe!

Sheila

Back
Top Bottom