Moving chilckens

Britlloyd

Hatching
Feb 7, 2015
We are about to move from AZ to TX and want to bring our 4 hens with us. It's about a 9 hour drive. Will they survive the trip?

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Chickens can be moved fairly easily, if you have a dog crate those work great, cardboard boxes with some holes in it work fine. Depending on what you use, shredded paper, shavings, hay etc on the bottom will help keep them clean. If the trip is at night they will be fine in the box/crate in the dark, if the trip is going to be a during the day (or if the coop/run will not be set up when you get there) then you might consider getting something like a dog crate you can hang food and water bowls in for them (and nesting box if they are layers), also makes it easier to keep them in for a day or two while reassembling the coop and run. Pretty much like people keep them at shows. The move may or may not upset them enough to stop laying for awhile as they get used to their new home.

I think that chickens will survive if you keeps in a small cage where you can have space . " Sorry for my bad english "

Hi :welcome
Glad you could join the flock! Great advice there for you about moving them in a dog crate/box with plenty of ventilation. Wishing you the very best of luck with your move, hope all goes well for you. Be sure to ask any questions you may have, everyone here to help and very friendly.

Enjoy BYC :frow

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. Your hens should survive the trip just fine, although the stress of the move will likely set their laying back temporarily. Which part of Texas are you moving to? My wife and I were both raised in Texas. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in moving your flock.

Back
Top Bottom