AzDuck

Songster
Apr 28, 2020
Arizona
Hi BYC(& ducks)

My 5 ducks will be 6 weeks old tomorrow (3 runners, 1 khaki, 1 cayuga). We are planning to transition them outside sometime next week, BUT I have a question about temps.

I am in Northern Arizona, where right now, the daytime temperatures are around 75-85 F, and the evening temps are anywhere from 45-55 F. We have built a full sized duck house for them (pictured), and I will line it with straw before moving them out. I read an “age chart” that said they shouldn’t be in temps below 50 at this age, however, I know others that put them out in colder temps. They are *almost* fully feathered. Can I put them out if it is only going to be in the mid-high 40’s some nights? I’m worried to shock them, since they’ve been in our warm house in their brooder this whole time.
Thank you!! :love
4EBE0357-3CB3-403D-BABD-D91F7DBD552E.jpeg

Thank you @Miss Lydia ! There is ventilation from the top to the back and the “vents” are covered in hardware cloth. I attached the photo without the front of the coop on so you can see it better. And they have been outside many days, but only when it’s been 65+...should that still be okay?

Attachments

• 631963BE-E5D9-478A-9F79-4DFD428BDE3B.jpeg
    631963BE-E5D9-478A-9F79-4DFD428BDE3B.jpeg
    471.5 KB · Views: 13
Is the coop close enough for power?

From three weeks, mine free range, running from their toasty barn, to the run, and back, with a bit of heat on cold nights. They don't need heat all the time.

Your coup is really nice .....but Arizona is a pretty hot place. Are you sure that is enough ventilation for the ducks?
I hope so! We are in Northern Az, where we have very cold, snowy winters. We didn’t want vents too large due to the chance of snow coming in.

Cut windows put hardware cloth over an use the piece you cut out to attach to the coop with hinges that way you can open when needed an close when you don’t but if you have hot weather place thermometer inside their coop so you can see how high temps are. You maybe surprised at the heat and for ducks that have a nice layer of down under their feathers windows an fresh air is very important.

Back
Top Bottom