Moving ducks to outside coup

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BladeDuck, Dec 10, 2011.

1. BladeDuck

BladeDuck Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2011
    Hi all,

I am new to the forum and new to ducks! I just got my day old ducklings on Tuesday morning from Metzer and am having a lot of fun with them. A friend wanted ducks as well so he went in on the duck order with me. I ordered 6 and he ordered 6. The hatchery included an extra so now I have 7. Originally I had thought that 4-6 would be my maximum for the area I have to put them in. I live in a townhome and have a small backyard and will be sectioning off a smaller permanent area for the ducks in the small back yard. My outdoor duck coup is almost complete and is 15 sq ft, my outdoor run area will be about 45-50 sq ft. The ducks will locked up inside the coup at night to keep them quiet and protected. I think I have about 1-2 too many ducks but I will just have to see as they get older. I have two White Layer females, two Hybrid 300 females, and 3 Khaki Campbell females. Obviously, from my breed choices, I am keenly interested in their egg laying capabilities:D. So far, my hybrids are the most docile, smartest, bravest, and most agile. One of the Campbells is definitely the runt of the entire bunch and seems to be getting comparatively even smaller the last 5 days. She eats, sleeps, and poops like all the others but is not growing as quickly. She may just be small or may have some neurological birth defect which I have read a little about. I will have to see. So far, there are no other signs that indicates anything is wrong.

But back to my post subject [​IMG], I have them inside right now in a large plastic storage bin with a 250 W heat lamp. I would love to move them outside as soon as they start getting their feathers (2-3 weeks) but am worried about the cold. I live in Utah and it is currently 35 degrees Fahrenheit and sunny outside. It is common to get to single digits at night in the winter where I live but rarely sub zero. I've never experienced more than -5, the last 4 years I have lived here. Will they be fine locked in their outdoor duck coup with the 250W heat lamp at that age or will I risk coming out to dead ducklings in the morning? [​IMG] The duck coup is 15 sq ft, painted particle board bottom and sides, and a plastic corrugated clear roof. I think the heat right around the heat lamp will be good (I will for sure test it) but the other end of the duck coup will probably be fairly cold. The flooring will get cold but I will put plenty of bedding down for them.

What do you think?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Putting a 250 heat lamp in a coop with bedding is a real big fire hazzard, they should be kept inside until fully feathered. It will be messy but thats they way it is with ducklings. Alot of folks use heat lamps but if you've ever read about those that used one and lost their coop and birds to a fire it's very heart renching. Please read up on other possibilities for keeping them warm enough if you insist on putting them outside in your frigid weather. And [​IMG]

3. BladeDuck

BladeDuck Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2011
    Thanks for your reply! So other than the fact that the outdoor coup is made of wood and the indoor is made of plastic, is there another risk for putting a heat lamp outside? The bedding is the same. Right now I'm thinking that big fire risk is in my kitchen and I'm not home during the day and I'd rather have it outside my house if something were to happen...

I'll search the forums for some other heat possibilities, it seems like every question imaginable is on here! I love BYC! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by