moving eggs on 7th day in incubator

chad e

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 5, 2014
Hi, I am buying a 1502 gqf incubator this weekend they have 18 maran eggs incubating now . The eggs will have been in for 7 days when when I pick it up & I have a 2 1/2 hour trip back home. What will be the best way to transport to save hatch?

Take the water out of the incubator before moving it. The lower humidity won't hurt them for such a short time. Put the eggs fat end up in egg cartons and make sure those are placed securely in the incubator. It's important that the incubator and eggs travel as smoothly as possible. Shaking, vibrating, etc could harm the embryos, so place it on a something soft that will help absorb shocks, preferably someone's lap, if you can find a volunteer, in which case it would be a very good idea to take the water out first
wink.png
Good luck with the trip and the hatch!

If you have a styrofoam incubator you can run to Walmarts and get a inverter for around $20 that will plug into your cig lighter that will run the incubator----Let the styrofoam one get warmed up on the way to get the 1502 incubator---place eggs into egg cartons and place in the incubator for the trip back home----OR better yet on the inverter---go ahead and get you a 400 watt inverter that you will have to hook to the battery in your vehicle then in the future if your power goes out on your 1502 and its loaded with eggs---you can run a drop cord to this inverter to run the incubator until the power comes back on----keep cranking the vehicle to keep the battery charged up. Getting a cabinet incubator can lead to alot Of Chicks---LOL

Sumi, I can not resist---placing the eggs in cartons in the incubator and placing the 1502 in someones lap to smoothen the ride home--------------I would Hope they take some pictures of this-----LOL.
big_smile.png
I think I'm NOT going to look up that incubator to see what it looks like! But if you do ahead with my suggestion, @chad e do post pics!

A 2 1/2 hour drive will likely addle the eggs so I will go out on a limb and predict a perfect 100% failure rate. 

Sorry but this is how I see it, good luck any way.

Forced air incubators usually need a constant source of humidity because they are not a closed r system like the smaller still air incubators are.

With good young healthy brood stock, hard work, and a little luck, a   5% hatch rate is almost assured with the incubator that you've chosen.

The eggs already hatched Monday 13 eggs out of 17 . Chicks are doing great.

If you have a styrofoam incubator you can run to Walmarts and get a inverter for around $20 that will plug into your cig lighter that will run the incubator----Let the styrofoam one get warmed up on the way to get the 1502 incubator---place eggs into egg cartons and place in the incubator for the trip back home----OR better yet on the inverter---go ahead and get you a 400 watt inverter that you will have to hook to the battery in your vehicle then in the future if your power goes out on your 1502 and its loaded with eggs---you can run a drop cord to this inverter to run the incubator until the power comes back on----keep cranking the vehicle to keep the battery charged up. Getting a cabinet incubator can lead to alot Of Chicks---LOL

Sumi, I can not resist---placing the eggs in cartons in the incubator and placing the 1502 in someones lap to smoothen the ride home--------------I would Hope they take some pictures of this-----LOL.

Last edited:
13 eggs hatched out of 17. Styrofoam bator idea worked well. Thanks
Great---I am glad it worked for you----I bet you are Loving that 1502!! LOL I bet someone holding the styrofoam incubator in their lap would work better than holding the 1502 in their lap----as suggested----LOL (Sumi)

Last edited:
Great---I am glad it worked for you----I bet you are Loving that 1502!!  LOL I bet someone holding the styrofoam incubator in their lap would work better than holding the 1502 in their lap----as suggested----LOL (Sumi)

Yes I really like the 1502 . I had to turn the temperature up to 100.4 to make it 99.5 at egg level. After that it holds steady at 99.5. Definitely need to buy a water reserve it really uses water.

Yes I really like the 1502 . I had to turn the temperature up to 100.4 to make it 99.5 at egg level. After that it holds steady at 99.5. Definitely need to buy a water reserve it really uses water.
I bought the 5 gallon bucket, float tray etc for my incubator, But I have no desire to hook it up. I am thinking Out of Sight Out of Mind---I like having to check mine every day!

Back
Top Bottom