Moving Forward- Breeding for Resistance to Marek's Disease

Pics
My broody raised chicks are also 3 weeks old and doing well so far. THe first day the hens took the chicks out in the run, I noticed one that was just sleepy and thought oh-oh, but it must have just been the stress of the outdoors because he has been fine since then.

Keeping my fingers crossed....I'll look at rooster booster vitamins, not sure whats in it..

My first hatch of 9 broody reared chicks will be 3 weeks tomorrow. In my experience that's a bit early for Marek's symptoms to show anyway, so just registering my part "in the experiment" for this season at this stage.It's usually at least 7weeks that it starts to rear it's ugly head.... whether that is the stress of being fledged, causing an initial trigger or just the time it takes to get into their system and take hold, I don't know. The most vulnerable age seemed to be about 12-16 weeks though with my previous bouts. Would be interesting to know if there is any correlation between seasons, perhaps reduced daylight or weather or just a natural coincidence that, because my broodies don't rear chicks until May/June/July, they all reach the vulnerable age in the late summer and autumn.

This first brood are not bred from my flock although they have been hatched and raised in the flock, so will perhaps act as a control sample for the concept of breeding for resistance.They are also pure bred pekins (bantam cochins), so that may also be an issue as oppose to the hybrid vigour of farmyard mutts that I mostly bred last year.
I have two other clockers sitting on eggs from my own flock, most of which will be farmyard mutts but some may be pure welsummers if they don't all smash before hatch day (sadly the shells are proving too thin for the rigours of broody setting, even with my best clocker and I'm down from 6 to 3 in the first week!
sad.png
)

Thank you for your post!! I'm battling with figuring what my flock has had over the last year. I have had one necropsy but not happy with results Bc the symptoms don't point to it, wet pox. I got a second opinion and this vet believes it is merek's. My next bird will go in for necropsy to confirm. Some of my birds have been on their death bird then recovered. Therefore, becoming immune to mareks if that's what I'm dealing with. I have a thread with all symptoms. My hens effected are 4-5 months old.

The birds that have survived Outbreaks were given: selinium, vit E, poly-vi-sol, lavender & oregano essential oil. Either in their water or mixed in with feed. I've also added rooster booster to all flock feed routinely. Apple cider vinager in water routinely, sometimes add 2 drops of oregano & lavender oil if they seem any bit off. Coop stays extra clean, free range during the day. Made daily disinfectant spray for coop, spray all over after they run out of coop: orange peels vanilla beans + cinnamon sticks (sock 2 weeks-1 month). Possibly could be helping--don't know
1f601.png
1f601.png
1f601.png

I just posted on your other thread suggesting that you join one of these Marek's threads and then I find you here!

Don't kid yourself that the ones that have recovered are now immune. In my experience it can stay dormant in them for several months, even a year and then suddenly they have a second or even third attack which is usually more prolonged/serious or fatal. I had a cockerel that had an attack at 5 months and was down for a few days and then was perfectly fine for a year and out of the blue, one day a few months ago, I found him down on his side in classic Marek's splits posture and sadly this time he didn't make it. He was one of my first generation to be hit by it though. Second generation have all made it to egg laying with only one minor attack. Third generation is just in the incubation phase.

Last edited:
Do you have pics of the marek's split posture? Mine feel ill for a few days wings dropped & wobbly-then either bounce back or go downhill. Droppings are runny/smelly/and usually green. Not eating, drinking little to none, laying down, head droops, eyes close, breathing slows-see a lot of butt area breathing, to flop over dead.

So you breed the ones exposed to mareks to see if offsprings become immune?

Last edited:
I agree with Rebrascora. Young birds seem to go into a remission from Marek's but they will not be resistant to it. The virus is still harbored in their bodies and will likely take them later. I lost count of how many pullets I had that seemed to make a full recovery, just to go blind or develop internal tumors a few months later. It is heartbreaking.

There is one bird in my flock that seems to be surviving with Marek's. She was vaccinated at hatch and raised by a broody hen. When she was young she had partial leg and wing paralysis. I was sure she wouldn't make it, but she recovered and is a year old now. I think the vaccine gave her immune system the ability to fight the virus long enough so that she could recover. It wouldn't surprise me if she has a relapse any day now, but she's never been sick since she recovered from the leg paralysis. Again, I think the vaccine plays a part in this and I don't think she (or any of my other birds) have natural resistance to Marek's.

And I am fully aware that said hen is probably shedding Marek's virus all over my coop. It has been this way for years and it's not going away unfortunately.

I had three silkies die recently. Shipped them off to get necropsy because everything pointed to Marek's Virus. Thank the Lord that I finally got some results: Coccidiosis- Eimeria Necatirx.Treatable with Amprolioum and preventable for future up bringing. So thankful. :) Wish I would have done this sooner, 11 birds die since November 2015 (7 month period). Effected 26% of my flock. Fingers crossed this will take care of all the issues I have been experiencing. I can imagine what others go through when Marek's stricks their flock. Ive become extremely knowledgeable because of all this and highly interested in all the efforts to eradicate Marek's Disease.

Last edited:
I had three silkies die recently. Shipped them off to get necropsy because everything pointed to Marek's Virus. Thank the Lord that I finally got some results: Coccidiosis- Eimeria Necatirx.Treatable with Amprolioum and preventable for future up bringing. So thankful. :) Wish I would have done this sooner, 11 birds die since November 2015 (7 month period). Effected 26% of my flock. Fingers crossed this will take care of all the issues I have been experiencing. I can imagine what others go through when Marek's stricks their flock. Ive become extremely knowledgeable because of all this and highly interested in all the efforts to eradicate Marek's Disease.

tea made of oregano, basil and thyme mixed with the feed will both prevent and heal cocci. I give it once a week to all of my chickens. these herbs are good for many other things as well.

Back
Top Bottom