Moving heat lamp

Green Bean Quail

Songster
Nov 13, 2019
Hey!
So my ENTIRE life is a lie and my quails are not bobwhites like I ordered-somehow I got buttons. I know the temps vary slightly for button v. Bobwhite incubation so I’m hoping that did not cause my super low hatch rate.
They are two weeks now, but still don’t like any temp below 90. They’ll chase the heat lamp whenever I position it away from their hut (I was worried about overheating) yet when it’s at its normal position they like to all pile into their hut. Should I work harder on adjusting them to room temp? My basement is 60-70

I don't do quail, just chickens and an occasional turkey. But I'd think its pretty much the same. It's in your basement so the temperature should remain fairly steady. Set it up where they have one warm spot and let the other areas cool off as they will. They are two weeks old. Let them decide where they want to be. Let them adjust to the cold as they see fit. Your job is to provide them with the options. Let them do all the work of deciding where they need to be.

To me, giving them warm spots and cool spots takes all the stress away from me. I find chicken and turkey chicks straight from the incubator or post office do a great job of managing that themselves. My brooder is in the coop where the outside temperature may be below freezing or in the 90's F. As long as they have a warm spot and a cool spot, they manage.

I'm hoping you contacted the company to tell them about the mix-up because that is quite the difference in your order.

I raise chicks, but I think the concept is fairly the same. I usually raise up the lamp every couple days until it's to a point where they don't need it. I have a warm area and then I have a cool area, most of my chicks enjoy the coop area until night time.

Hey!
So my ENTIRE life is a lie and my quails are not bobwhites like I ordered-somehow I got buttons. I know the temps vary slightly for button v. Bobwhite incubation so I’m hoping that did not cause my super low hatch rate.
They are two weeks now, but still don’t like any temp below 90. They’ll chase the heat lamp whenever I position it away from their hut (I was worried about overheating) yet when it’s at its normal position they like to all pile into their hut. Should I work harder on adjusting them to room temp? My basement is 60-70

How did you come to this conclusion? Just wondering if someone told you they were buttons? Can you post pictures of the eggs (if you took them). Button eggs are tiny and shade of green/grey/khaki. Bobwhite eggs are white. Coturnix eggs are white or blue with speckles.

Hey Green Bean! Like FC said you gotta contact them! Let us know what they say! Buttons are majorly different and im sure you had plans with your suposed to be bobs thats why your ordered them specifically. Like Ms Tammy says are you sure? Give us some pics please! I have buttons. The babies sure dont like to give up that heat lamp and the Whole first night after i take it away they cry for all theyre worth :rolleyes: til they realize theyre fine. I generally wait until about 2 wks old during this time of year and then i put em outside on a warmer day. I keep em in old 3'x2' reptile tanks on my back porch for a draftless enclosure to experience being outside. I only keep a breeding pair and wasnt intent on breeding them but those tiny eggs are too precious :oops:

The whole thing was weird- I’m confused I didn’t see it sooner. The order form, when I went back and checked, had the wrong name, number of egg, address and type of quail, and while I had the right number of eggs delivered, my type was wrong. A lottttt of small errors that I found weird, especially since I ordered from a well-known company.

Back
Top Bottom