Moving Into A New Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by brwneggs, Jun 24, 2010.

1. brwneggs

brwneggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    We are going to be building a better chicken mobile for Isa brown girls and their cocky Isa Brown rooster. Will it be a hard transition for them to move into a new place? Espically when they are going to lay? Thank you

2. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    Im no expert but I think they will transition just fine ours did. luck to ya!

3. brwneggs

Jun 21, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    mgw,
    Thank you for your reply.

4. Chicken Chat

Chicken Chat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    I have moved my girls a couple of times without much trouble. The only thing you might have a problem with is when it is time to go up at night. I had to pick them up and put them in the coop, they were roosting in tree branches, bushes, etc. That only lasted a couple of days before the light bulb came on and they figured it out. If they were close to laying, I would put some fake eggs in the nest boxes to insure that they would lay in there. Never had a problem. Good luck.[​IMG]

5. brwneggs

Jun 21, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    Where can you purchase fake eggs? We use to have some yrs ago, but they disappered.

Quote:

6. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] from Ohio! I think your chickens & roo will adjust to the new coop just fine. [​IMG] They will take a day or two to inspect their new home. Don't be surprised if there's a slow-down in eggs at first. [​IMG] BEST OF LUCK TO YOU, my feather loving friend!

7. silkieowner

silkieowner Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2010
    As soon as i put my silkies in there new coop/run the next day 2 of my silkies decided to lay a egg and the my other silkie laid the day later. They have only been sperated from the standard chickens since sunday today is tuesday almost wednesday here in australia, so 3 days about. Already in those 3 days they are alot happier and all seem to be gaining weight.

8. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Chickens tend to hate change...but on the bright side, they adapt quickly to a new routine and then will hate to change from that. Expect a day or two of settling in.

9. brwneggs

Jun 21, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    Thank you for all respones. Now I know that they will be ok. I just need to find someone who will build me one. My father is old and very comprehensive about bldg another one without plans. I want to build one that is up high, is moble, has a run, with wheels, and they can also go under the coop (Since its up high) and a place for 2 laying boxes. And you can open the side to clean it easy. All that would be easy on my back and knee. I have everything to make it with, I just dont have plans. And the budget it quit tight to off buying books etc.
    Anyone that would be able to help me out, I surly appreciate it. I love our girls. My husband also has cerebal palsy, so he can not build it.
    Thank you!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by