Moving - No chickens allowed in town - move my four ladies inside?

kbrown927

Chirping
May 9, 2014
Northwest Corner of CT
Yeah, I know this sounds crazy, but I have four 6 yr old ladies in a small outdoor coop. They are extremely healthy and have even laid 5-6 eggs during our mild CT winter without artificial light. I raised them since chicks and have had terrific luck with the girls. Now, I'm moving and the house I've purchased is in a town that only allows chickens if you have 3+ acres!! I don't want to give them away -- they are my girls! -- but I don't want to hide them in the backyard, either.

I have a very large, semi-finished basement, with a window that I'm thinking I could make a very nice indoor coop for them in. Nice thing is it is "walled off" complete with door to the general basement area and the exit goes to the garage, not into the house.

Prob. be able to "fence off" a section about 10' X 4' very easily at the end of the room - set up a roost with a poo tray under it -- bring in the shavings and a dust bathing area -- couple fun ladders, etc. to keep away boredom.

Any thoughts? I know they are happier outdoors, but they've never free ranged because of critters and two domestic dogs, so this space would actually be larger than their current coop / run combo... Has anyone seen a coop space designed for indoors? Love any photos out there... someone else MUST have had this problem.

Thanks everyone! Love reading stories and seeing pictures here!

Last edited:
I’d be worried about ventilation. Chickens indoors are going to produce a lot of dust and dander. If you keep on top of cleaning out, you may keep ammonia down. There’s also the noise. Are you allowed to keep chickens inside? Or do outdoor laws not apply inside?

It's gonna stink!
I don't even like to keep chicks in the house anymore.

10x4 with no other space(how big was run before?) and no fresh air and sunshine.

Have read of several folks who kept larger birds in the basement, due to not getting coop built in a timely manner....none were too happy with the conditions.

It's gonna stink!
I don't even like to keep chicks in the house anymore.

10x4 with no other space(how big was run before?) and no fresh air and sunshine.

Have read of several folks who kept larger birds in the basement, due to not getting coop built in a timely manner....none were too happy with the conditions.

Hated having chicks in the house. 4 hens in a basement will be a proper cleaning commitment. I suppose you have to consider if it’s really fair on the hens too.

Closest equivalent I can think of is some folks in arctic type climates keep their flocks locked in a closed up space for the duration of cold season, but that's not used year round. You'd need to find a way to add a lot of ventilation and adequate light too. Their dander is going to stick to anything just outside of their area as well.

I have had chickens indoors. It is not that bad depending on how big your windows are and if you can keep the windows open. An air filter will help with the smell. If there is enough light, you can grow houseplants and make it feel like an outdoor run. Honestly the garage might be better though.

I brood my babies at my house, and currently have some adults as well. As long as your litter stays dry (ie no dumped water bowls) and you change it regularly you won't have smell issues. An air filter and regular dusting will fix the rest.

Just a thought, maybe consider rehoming two and keeping two to make it easier on you & the birds you keep?
How close will neighbors be in your new home? You have to know that if a neighbor objects and complains you may be fined and will have to rehome them. I say this as someone who had to fight for the right to have hens in the small village we moved to 3 yrs ago, and now as a village trustee familiar with ordinances. You could take your chances keeping a couple of them.
Tough decision. Let us know how it turns out! Best wishes!!

Back
Top Bottom