Moving to the coop

mldlm

Songster
Apr 3, 2022
Northeast Florida
New to this. Getting Ready to move my 4 chicks out to the coop in a week from the brooder. Once they are out there,
any ideas on how to bring them up the ramp and into the coop from the run? These are my first chicks and I don’t have any older ones. Thank you for helping!

For the first few days keep them in the coop and run but don't let them out to free range. Give them threeish days and then they will know that the coop is where they sleep, eat, and drink.

They should know that the coop will keep them warmer, but if they're not going in and it's very cold outside, I would just catch them and block up the exit or keep their food in there in hopes that they'll want to spend more time in it.

When you move them out, place them in the run. Let them be themselves all day. When dusk starts to fall, pick each one up and place them in the coop. In the morning, let them out into the run again. You will have to repeat this process anywhere from 2 days to 2 weeks. My 6 gals learned in 4 days. 😊 Good luck!

I also recommend NOT free ranging them until they are full size. (Laying age usually). Predators will view them as an easy snack otherwise.

Ok, so I am getting mixed messages on this one. Do I put food and water in the coop, or only in the run? Or both? Thanks
I'd probably start with both to be safe. Then when you observe them eating/drinking in the run, it's safe to assume they have learned that food and water can be found there, and removal of the coop food/water can happen.

On a side note, I've moved my food and water into the coop for both of my groups and noticed a substantial reduction in food consumption. Laying is still fine, so I think my birds are still eating the same, just feeding the wild birds a lot less.

For my flock I kept them in the coop for a few days to a week with food and water. They then understood the coop was where to roost at night. Then I let them in the run and moved the food and water out. Mine were 8wks old when I moved them out and using this method they all put them selves up, even up the ramp. Once the more with it chicken went in, the others followed. I only had to work more with my silkie. It took her a little longer to get it.

Ok, so I am getting mixed messages on this one. Do I put food and water in the coop, or only in the run? Or both? Thanks
You're getting mixed messages because everyone's set up is different. You can put food and water in either location, just depends on where it works in your set up.

For me, I have water in run only (prevents any excess moisture in coop) and fermented feed in run (again, moist) and dry feed in the coop (so it stays dry even with bad weather).

You're getting mixed messages because everyone's set up is different. You can put food and water in either location, just depends on where it works in your set up.

For me, I have water in run only (prevents any excess moisture in coop) and fermented feed in run (again, moist) and dry feed in the coop (so it stays dry even with bad weather).
Thank you

Thank you

Thank you
Hello again! Someting I wish I knew up front about chickens and learned how to use to my advantage is that chickens are great at routine. They can be trained. Use the same calls, use a few scrambled eggs to aide in their learning and love for you. Setting the routines up at the beginning makes your chicken life easier. Getting them to put themselves up at night was a biggie to me. Leaving them in the coop a few days helps with this routine. At least it did for me. I do not have an auto coop door so if I happen to not be at home right at dusk, they have at least put themselves up and I just have to shut the door. Good luck! Chickens are really fascinating birds.

Back
Top Bottom