Moving with chickens to a new state

sunshynertc

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 1, 2014
California
I have have chicken for 6 years. I currently have a dozen.

I bought various breeds so that when I get eggs that are various colors.
My family intends moving it Idaho we have a two year plan. We have not decided where in that state yet.
I would like to own chickens when I move. I have no clue how to transport a dozen chickens.

I would like to know which areas in Idaho are chicken friendly areas.

Thank you.

Although I don't have experience of moving them that far, but when I had to move my flock of 8 a couple hundred miles away, we used dog crates to drive them, making sure they have enough space to stand straight and move around a bit, but keeping them safe from being jostled during the ride. However it would be important to start prepping them before the actual move.
Hope this helps :)

Welcome to activity on BYC.
I think you are going to have to decide which areas of Idaho you would like to live in and then contact the local government for each of those areas and request the ordinance. If there is a specific area of Idaho that you like, try to find a property that is semi-rural as chickens and livestock are generally permitted in rural settings.

When I take chickens to shows and it's going to be a long trip, I usually keep chicken groups together who already live together. If you have a roo who is amorous, the hens will appreciate him riding separately.

We drive a hatchback. We drop the back seats and spread a tarp with the edges up a foot or so on all sides, to protect the car. On top of the tarp we place a large dog crate or carrier with a thick layer of straw on the bottom. The straw gives the chickens a much better ride, absorbing some of the bounces, and keeps them from being tossed around in traffic or curvy roads. But, sadly, nothing will absorb the smell of chicken poop. And chickens create a lot of dust and dander.

On the way, you will want to feed them and give them water. Feed can stay in the crate, but it's best to give them drinks just at your rest stops.

Be aware that they will sleep when it's dark, but if a truck with bright lights comes up behind you, or when you pull into a brightly-lit rest area or through a brightly-lit toll area, they will wake, and the roosters will crow.

If you are traveling while it's hot, you will need to take all the same precautions for overheating that you would with a dog or any other pet.

When you get to your destination, you will want to remove the crate and carefully remove the tarp and shake it out, then wash the inside of your car. Seriously, you will want to!

Hope this helps. We travel with chickens and ducks all the time, and it's not a big deal. It's actually quite a bit of fun to see their reactions to life on the road, and other people's reactions to them.

Keep in mind not only do you need to move the chickens but when you get there you need to store them while you unpack house, find hardware suppliers in the area, set up your tools, and build a coop. While dealing with all of the other issues entailed with moving.

in the end you might be better off eating or rehoming chickens and setting up a wonderful coop on your own timetable instead of a rush for a brand new flock.

Back
Top Bottom