moving with chickens

lhiggins80

In the Brooder
May 30, 2020
I have about 60-63 chickens, 4 of them are chicks. And I was wondering if anybody has any advice on how I could move with at least half the flock across country?šŸ” I don't really want to start over, I would miss my friendsšŸ„° I love the chicken personalitys! I thought about putting some in a large dog cage and others in smaller crates in the back of a truck and cover them with a tarp, but I still feel like they might get hurt, though I can't think of anything else to do. But if someone has any ideas, that would be great!šŸ˜‰
Thank you!

You can modify a trailer to be able to hold chickens. Something like this:
78C4A7E1-88B7-4CF6-8144-E908F44A3007.jpeg

Except with a tarp well secured over the top and hardware cloth or chicken wire over the gaps. Around 20 chickens will be able to fit in a trailer.

Then you can put more chickens in the crates, and when you run out of crates you can fit more chickens in boxes or plastic totes with ventilation cut in them.

For the baby chicks, a ventilated box with a long-lasting heat pack will work (kind of like how hatcheries ship chicks).

Good luck on your move! I hope you are able to take your chickens with you.

View attachment 2639920
Except with a tarp well secured over the top and hardware cloth or chicken wire over the gaps. Around 20 chickens will be able to fit in a trailer.

Then you can put more chickens in the crates, and when you run out of crates you can fit more chickens in boxes or plastic totes with ventilation cut in them.

For the baby chicks, a ventilated box with a long-lasting heat pack will work (kind of like how hatcheries ship chicks).

thank you, that's a great idea! I think that will probably work really nicely. ;)

View attachment 2639920

I'd be so happy to see a wagon full of chickens pulling up next to me on the road, LOL

I'd be so happy to see a wagon full of chickens pulling up next to me on the road, LOL
yeah, that would be a sight to behold!šŸ˜it would be kinda hard stopping at a camp sight or something cause the roosters would start crowing and it would drive people crazy :he
I would just have to leave the grown roosters behind, but I have a rooster chick so he won't be crowing any time soon.šŸ“ He is absolutely adorable!!!

we figured out a way too do it so that we don't have a whole bunch of chickens too take too the vet! we are just going too get papers for our favorite birds and put dippers on them and keep them in the car with us.šŸ™‚ And thank you all soooo much for your help. I've enjoyed talking to you guy alot. ThanksšŸ˜Š And I will let you know how we are when we get there!

we figured out a way too do it so that we don't have a whole bunch of chickens too take too the vet! we are just going too get papers for our favorite birds and put dippers on them and keep them in the car with us.šŸ™‚ And thank you all soooo much for your help. I've enjoyed talking to you guy alot. ThanksšŸ˜Š And I will let you know how we are when we get there!
That's great news! Glad you are able to take your favorite birds with you. šŸ™‚ Definitely let us know how it goes!

Do get the paperwork, and testing done in plenty of time! And any critter, including your chickens, will be MUCH SAFER in cages or crates, never loose in the car!!! In any accident, animals in crates will survive, while those just riding along will be dangerous flying objects, and out of the car, dead or lost.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom