Moxidectin(Quest) wormer

What happened when you used it on the chickens?
My neighbor uses quest (not plus) on his chickens every year. One treatment mixed w water.
I haven’t dewormed my chickens yet. They are 13 weeks. But one has loose fecal.
Would you use something else?
I've never heard of it being mixed in water. I dont think that it's supposed to be mixed in water because it might dilute the effectiveness of the wormer. I know the product is effective for 30 days, it stays in the chickens system that long. That means tossing eggs in the garbage for 30 days like I had to do back then.
That time I used the product, only a few birds were actually properly dosed from one small coop. I got rid of the product and bought Valbazen to worm the rest my birds...no regrets not using Quest since.

I'd like to add that using wormers in water isnt a very effective way to worm birds.
You dont know if they'll drink the treated water or if they'll drink enough of it to be effective. Sick wormy birds drink very little, if they drink at all.
It's best to worm each bird individually, one at a time, orally, using a syringe without a needle. That way you know each bird was properly wormed and no guesswork about it.

I've never heard of it being mixed in water. I dont think that it's supposed to be mixed in water because it might dilute the effectiveness of the wormer. I know the product is effective for 30 days, it stays in the chickens system that long. That means tossing eggs in the garbage for 30 days like I had to do back then.
That time I used the product, only a few birds were actually properly dosed from one small coop. I got rid of the product and bought Valbazen to worm the rest my birds...no regrets not using Quest since.

I'd like to add that using wormers in water isnt a very effective way to worm birds.
You dont know if they'll drink the treated water or if they'll drink enough of it to be effective. Sick wormy birds drink very little, if they drink at all.
It's best to worm each bird individually, one at a time, orally, using a syringe without a needle. That way you know each bird was properly wormed and no guesswork about it.
I been using safeguard for dogs. It comes in a powder. So I mixed it with about a 1 T of water and soak bread in it. Tear it up and hand it out.
Then the one who I think is suffering from worms didn’t want the bread. I picked her up and isolated her and gave her a raisin on the bread.

I like the syringe idea better.
I read this after deworming the pullets.
I will try goat safeguard at TRactor Supply.
It was pricey at $30 for a bottle.
But they do match prices!

There's no reason to use any wormer unless there's actually a worm problem, based on seeing roundworms, or better yet, having fecals run at the veterinarian's. Otherwise it's just pointless and expensive.
Only fenbendazole is approved for use in chickens in the USA, with no egg withdrawal period.
Mary

So I have one chicken with pudding like poop. Not formed.

has been this way since a chick. Although when she was a week old it looked like honey mustard.
We call her Honey.

if the fecal is loose it is an issue right?

Back
Top Bottom