~*Mr. Chicken 2010 Contest!*~ The Winners Are Anoinced!!!

Quote:
aww come on, you should let that last one count. It wouldn't hurt anything, would it?
wink.png

It's a matter of principle?
big_smile.png

Morgan's_Silkie_Parade :

Quote:
It is not spelled "Dorklinngs", the correct term is "Dorking". And yes, Silver/Grey Dorkings are the only breed to have 5 toes and be rare/endangered from the Roman Empire Era. Other breeds that have 5 toes are from genetic mishaps or breeding factors. Dorkings were all born genetically this way, and are first recorded in the Roman Era.

The Faverolles are a French breed, therefore of the Continental classification. Bred in the 1850s of composite blood from the Houdon, Brahma, Crêve-Cour, Dorking and common fowl of the area. Some references have been made to the CouCoo and Cochin being used in addition.

Sorry. I misspelled. Not everyone here is perfect.
I know it is "dorking" so i misspelled. its human nature.
And just becouse a chicken breed was created CENTURIES after a "possible" genetic mutation. You can not Judge a chicken breed because of Something that may or may Not of been in the past.
there are NO perfect records from that far back and Many times it is Unknown how a breed that old began.
And Yes, Silkies to are a very special breed with their,
Extra toe (however it may of gotten there)
Black skin
blue meat
the famous feathers, (missing Barbs in feathers)
and a more recent discovery about how Silkies and Cochins have now been found to have an Extra WING digit, as well as thier toes, before hatching, but some retain it after hatch.

http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/ExtraWingDigit/ExtraWingDigit.html#Footnote1

Ughmmm...I was not making a lasting attempt to "JUDGE" a chickens past or mutations. I was speculating on the history behind my Silver Dorking Rooster and pointing out that alot of breeds now have a fifth toe because it was genetically created that way from the blood of a Silver Dorking. Take it as you may, but my intentions are that of historic - not rhetoric.

Quote:
http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/ExtraWingDigit/ExtraWingDigit.html#Footnote1

Ughmmm...I was not making a lasting attempt to "JUDGE" a chickens past or mutations. I was speculating on the history behind my Silver Dorking Rooster and pointing out that alot of breeds now have a fifth toe because it was genetically created that way from the blood of a Silver Dorking. Take it as you may, but my intentions are that of historic - not rhetoric.

I am just not seeing the proof that a silkie is created from a cross from a dorking, or any other breed. So IMO it can not be safe to assume that Silkies or anyother breed without proof from a journal can a cross from a certain breed.

I may be wrong, there may be journals stating the proof of which breed is crosses of what to create what breed. but i have just not found on yet.

I am not trying to start an argument or anything, and this is why i hate typing, (can not hear the tones of voices).

I hope you understand though that I am in No way trying to be rude.

Um, methinks he was talking about Faverolles, quoting this page. Dunno about silkies.

Apparently the Poultry Pages claims that silkies "have been mentioned in writings for several hundred years. The explorer Marco Polo described discovering chickens with 'fur'. They make good pets and are excellent broodies, although many people tend to think of them as bantams, in the UK silkies are classed as large fowl. However, in the last few years a proper bantam strain has been developed. Silkies are one of the oddities of the poultry world with their nearly black skin, face, comb, wattles and bones, and their hair-like plumage in which there is no web. Ancient writers referred to fowl with hair instead of feathers and they are believed to have originated in Japan although information of them also comes from India, China and the Malay states. They are further distinguished by a crest, also bearded and non-bearded varieties, and five toes."

Kewl. History is fun.

Last edited:
Morgan's_Silkie_Parade :

Quote:

I am just not seeing the proof that a silkie is created from a cross from a dorking, or any other breed. So IMO it can not be safe to assume that Silkies or anyother breed without proof from a journal can a cross from a certain breed.

I may be wrong, there may be journals stating the proof of which breed is crosses of what to create what breed. but i have just not found on yet.

I am not trying to start an argument or anything, and this is why i hate typing, (can not hear the tones of voices).

I hope you understand though that I am in No way trying to be rude.​

I am in no way trying to be rude either. I have been doing a lot of research on the Silver Dorking breed and base my information on actual tests and historical results. So in no way am I just being absent minded. I am basing on historical evidence.

Back
Top Bottom