MRAPs in America?

bakerjw

Songster
9 Years
Apr 14, 2010
Johnson City, Tn
Anyone wonder why the DHS has ordered 2,700 MRAPs for use by law enforcement? MRAPs are mine resistant ambush/armor protected vehicles that were designed to withstand IED blasts.

There are 9 cities with more than 1 million people. If each is given 30 MRaps, then there is a total of 270.
There are 25 cities with less than 1 million and more than 500K. If each is given 15 MRaps, then there is a total of 375.
There are 41 cities with less than 500K and more than 250K. If each is given 10 MRaps, then there is a total of 410
There are 211 cities with less than 250K and more than 100K. If each is given 5 MRaps, then there is a total of 1055.
For coverage of civilian population center greater than 100,000 people, 2110 MRAPs could easily be allocated. That would still be 590 to be allocated to rural areas or smaller towns.

I just don't see why police departments need this level of armor. Anyone else know why?

Good link. There is conflicting information on the transfer of these vehicles. It's something that I'll keep watching.

But regardless, there is no denying the ongoing militarization of law enforcement.

I'm curious to know why the DHS ordered 1.6 billion rounds of ammunition, too. Read somewhere that U.S. troops in Iraq expended roughly 6 million rounds per month, which means that 1.6 billion could theoretically sustain a shooting war for 22 years (yes, I did the math).

So, MRAPs and tons of ammo, plus drones and ever-increasing domestic surveillance...

All in the name of "fighting terrorism." This is just a hypothetical, but how much not-hypothetical freedom are we willing to give up in the name of hoping to catch a hypothetical terrorist with a hypothetical bomb? I mean, seriously, this is looking more and more like a subtle form of martial law.

Back
Top Bottom