MRSA Infection from Ducks?

patrickftobin

Chirping
Jul 7, 2022
Hi there,

I have five 3-month old Rouen ducks. Within the past 2 months I’ve gotten a MRSA Staph skin infection which I’ve never had before. I had it during the month of august and it cleared up with antibiotics and special soap, but today it came back.

The only new factor in my life has been my ducks. I don’t really handle them, as they don’t like being held, but I do spend a lot of time with them, let them eat out of my hands and sometimes sit on the ground in their pen with them. I of course clean their coop out regularly too, change their water and feed them.

I wasn’t able to find concrete info, but does anyone else know if it’s possible this MRSA infection keeps happening from the ducks? Can they carry MRSA? If so, is it possible to give them antibiotics to get rid of this?

Thank you for any help!

I haven't heard of this, but I suppose it could be possible. Or perhaps just the bacteria that hones in on their feces?

Make sure you wash thoroughly after interacting with them, and especially cleaning the coop. I know it sounds like a no brainer, but I get so distracted sometimes that it takes a while before I go wash up myself.

It is possible for humans to contract MRSA from poultry (including ducks). Is your physician aware of the fact that you own ducks? MRSA is spread through skin contact with the bacteria (not through the air), usually by touching somone or something with the bacteria and then touching your skin or nose. Do you wear protective equipment (gloves) when cleaning coop/waterers/feeders?

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/staphylococcosis/staphylococcosis-in-poultry

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/09/160921085050.htm

https://www.aftermath.com/content/mrsa-contagious/

I hope you're able to get this figured out and get good treatment and prevention protocols in place! 🤞

I handle my ducks everyday and clean my pens every morning
I cuddle a few of my ducks and most of them will eat from my hands
I have been scratched a few times from the claws but I have never got anything from my ducks
I wear throw away gloves when I clean my pens
It’s possible you have caught it from stores while shopping ?

Is it possible yes, but I'm not sure I would say the ducks are the cause. Every single person I know who has caught MRSA it was from using communal showers such as a dorm, YMCA, gym, military communal showers etc. Or walking barefoot around public pools. I have been around poultry my entire life and always make sure to thoroughly wash my hands after. I have never once had a MRSA infection despite many scratches from them.

I haven't heard of this, but I suppose it could be possible. Or perhaps just the bacteria that hones in on their feces?

Make sure you wash thoroughly after interacting with them, and especially cleaning the coop. I know it sounds like a no brainer, but I get so distracted sometimes that it takes a while before I go wash up myself.
Yeah that’s what’s weird, I am very clean about the whole thing. I have a hand sanitizer caddy on the side of their pen and use it very often and then also wash up when I come in! Very strange. I just can’t think of any other reason why this is happening to me now after never having it before. Thanks for replying :)

It is possible for humans to contract MRSA from poultry (including ducks). Is your physician aware of the fact that you own ducks? MRSA is spread through skin contact with the bacteria (not through the air), usually by touching somone or something with the bacteria and then touching your skin or nose. Do you wear protective equipment (gloves) when cleaning coop/waterers/feeders?

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/staphylococcosis/staphylococcosis-in-poultry

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/09/160921085050.htm

https://www.aftermath.com/content/mrsa-contagious/

I hope you're able to get this figured out and get good treatment and prevention protocols in place! 🤞
I do wear gloves when cleaning their coop out but not when changing their food or water, or rinsing/cleaning the food/water bowls. I do use hand sanitizer regularly after handling their stuff and always wash up right when I come in, but maybe I’ll start wearing gloves for the whole thing, thanks!

Just sharing our protocol we learned in England and we still use: 1- dedicated back door for coming /going off farm. 2- only where farm boots on farm and throw away gloves. 3- keep clorox clean up near a hose. Wash off backs of boots when leaving coop/barns. 4- use same spray on all mucking tools and store these tools separate from other tools for farm. 5- Remove gloves and throw awat in the barn trash can for gloves. 6- upon re entry to home remove boots at thresh hold. Have a boot plastic mat to set the boots in. Immediately wash hands to elbows if necessary with soap/ hibiclens. If wearing a coverall to protect clothung it goes straight into the wash on hot dry on hot. 7- i keep a deducated mop at that back door that I use clorix 98.9% germ killing pads with and a trash can just at this door fir the mop pads. After removing the used mop pad Wash hands well again (at least 30 seconds- tho hibiclens instructions are 3 minutes). 8- we also clean our tractor parts and atv wheels often. Preventing parasite spread and illnesses /gerns are very important with livestock or domestic livestock on a farm.

Yeah that’s what’s weird, I am very clean about the whole thing. I have a hand sanitizer caddy on the side of their pen and use it very often and then also wash up when I come in! Very strange. I just can’t think of any other reason why this is happening to me now after never having it before. Thanks f

I do wear gloves when cleaning their coop out but not when changing their food or water, or rinsing/cleaning the food/water bowls. I do use hand sanitizer regularly after handling their stuff and always wash up right when I come in, but maybe I’ll start wearing gloves for the whole thing, thanks!
And after all of that said about our protocols. Mrsa from what I heard years ago from a nurse friend is a colony of germs that go dormant and come back? It can spread to others and animals etc tho I have no idea which animals etc? In my life I only heard of one where a dog and it's owner both got it. Might ask a natural path care Dr about it- they may have info on immune system the gut etc? As far as preventing spread of anything our protocol I listed is what we use successfully so far.

While Luckyduck's protocol seems very complete, I would add using a nail brush when you wash your hands and cleaning door knobs on occasion. I use alcohol for that.
There is a very good antibiotic cream mupirocin (very strong prescription only) that cured me of some persistent skin thing I had. Use sparingly. These antibiotics and antibacterials can be liver damaging over long term.
I wish you the best. I think this covid thing has made all of us a bit Immune compromised - shot or not.

Back
Top Bottom