Mt Healthy Hatchery

Don’t want to rustle anyone’s feathers – nor open myself up to the many angles of emotionally charged attack. I just want to inform of possibilities so you can make your own educated decisions.

TSC has been sourcing their chicks for the annual “Chick Days’ from Mt. Healthy Hatchery for numerous years.

Mt. Healthy Hatchery has been cited by the CDC as the source of outbreaks year after year after year after year…. Their “product” (chicks) being tainted with rare strains of Salmonella for MANY CONTINUOUS YEARS!

TSC CONTINUES TO SOURCE THEIR CHICKS FROM MT. HEALTHY HATCHERY! PLEASE DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH, BUT PLEASE RESEARCH!

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_he...y/downloads/2013_presentations/cdc_update.pdf

http://www.cdc.gov/salmonella/live-poultry-04-13/index.html

Last edited:
Don’t want to rustle anyone’s feathers – nor open myself up to the many angles of emotionally charged attack. I just want to inform of possibilities so you can make your own educated decisions.

1st and foremost, when you talk Mt. Healthy Hatchery, you talk Tractor Supply Company (TSC) and vice versa.
TSC has been sourcing their chicks for the annual “Chick Days’ from Mt. Healthy Hatchery for numerous years.

Mt. Healthy Hatchery has been cited by the CDC as the source of outbreaks year after year after year after year…. Their “product” (chicks) being tainted with rare strains of Salmonella for MANY CONTINUOUS YEARS!

TSC CONTINUES TO SOURCE THEIR CHICKS FROM MT. HEALTHY HATCHERY! PLEASE DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH, BUT PLEASE RESEARCH!

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_he...y/downloads/2013_presentations/cdc_update.pdf

http://www.cdc.gov/salmonella/live-poultry-04-13/index.html
I was under the impression from those here on BYC that get their chicks from TS some get Mt Healthy chicks and others get their chicks from other hatcheries. I don't know if they know for sure or not but I just know what I've read here. Also I thought I read online that Mt. Healthy has gotten the all clear from the CDC. I don't know for certain either on that. But I would hate to make assumptions about one or two companies.

I wouldn't make any assumptions either, as I stated out of the gate, "I just want to inform of possibilities..."! Your local TSC may or may not...may be worth a question. However, continuing to not assume, I have never heard or read of any "all clears" from any agency after any of these outbreaks, nor does any CDC publication mention such. Just some information for those interested.

We bought 9 chicks from Mt Healthy Hatcheries last year. They are all healthy and laying well with the exception of an Americauna who doesn't seem to be laying at all. A mystery.

We do live near the hatchery so we picked them up there. Worked out because we wanted fewer than the minimum for shipping. It was also so much easier on the chicks.

Does anyone know what bantams they have.
When I emailed this hatchery asking this exact same question, I never received a single response despite multiple attempts to find out. Customer Service SUCKS. You would think they'd at least have a form letter-style email to send out for this common question. Instead, all I got was silence. I'll never get chicks from this place again if they don't appreciate their customers enough to respond to their questions.

I have to take exception to your reply. I don't know about your local TSCs, but where I work we take great care in the handling of our chicks and make considerable effort to properly identify them so we know what we are selling to our customers. We don't mind taking care of the peeps and look forward to Chick Days as a fun part of the year. Anyone in the store who doesn't like handling the chicks is generally not required to because most of the staff is very animal friendly and happy to do the chores, whether that means cleaning tanks, picking out chicks for customers or cleaning little pasty butts. We have had instances where the birds we got were not what the label on the box said, but you can't very well fault us for that. Please don't paint with such a broad brush.

Back
Top Bottom