Mt Healthy messed up

I thought you ordered 3 pullets, received 3 pullets, and also received an extra that may be a cockerel.

If you got the number of pullets you paid for, they do not owe any refund. You pay $0 for the extra chick, there is nothing to refund if it is the wrong gender.

Both partly right.

There is a link between the blue egg gene and the pea comb gene. So they are different genes, but get inherited together most of the time.

They can be linked in any combination:
pea comb/blue egg (Ameraucana)
pea comb/not-blue egg (Brahma)
single comb/blue egg (Cream Legbar)
single comb/not-blue egg (Marans)

So if someone is crossing Ameraucanas with Marans, and then they interbreed the offspring, the pea combs will mostly go with the blue or green eggs, and the single combs will mostly go with the brown eggs.

But if someone is crossing Cream Legbars with Brahmas, and then they interbreed the offspring, the pea combs will mostly go with the brown eggs, and the single combs with blue or green eggs.

And if someone crosses two single comb breeds (Cream Legbar and Marans) or two pea comb breeds (Ameraucana and Brahma), they will not be able to tell egg color by comb type because the combs are all the same anyway.

Yes, from a line that has the pea comb/blue egg linkage, a single comb bird will probably lay not-blue eggs. But that depends on whether the chicken really does come from a line with that linkage (because the hatchery could have some blue egg/pea comb birds too.)
I also ordered a blue laced red and got what I’ve been told is a blue laced gold wyandotte. If anyone has any idea which variation that is I would appreciate it.

Attachments

• 9A7F56B1-2926-44E8-9B25-2CF04CC5E94E.jpeg
    9A7F56B1-2926-44E8-9B25-2CF04CC5E94E.jpeg
    938.7 KB · Views: 19
  • FA3C9C8C-38ED-4DA0-9B2C-4C6C82C95968.jpeg
    FA3C9C8C-38ED-4DA0-9B2C-4C6C82C95968.jpeg
    830.8 KB · Views: 14
  • AC93F720-45F8-4C3A-99A4-8C67063D0D76.jpeg
    AC93F720-45F8-4C3A-99A4-8C67063D0D76.jpeg
    490.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 48345485-56E2-4B23-8D7B-9D4A8C19D2DD.jpeg
    48345485-56E2-4B23-8D7B-9D4A8C19D2DD.jpeg
    831.2 KB · Views: 13
I also ordered a blue laced red and got what I’ve been told is a blue laced gold wyandotte. If anyone has any idea which variation that is I would appreciate it.
Looks like just a regular gold laced wyandotte to me. I see the reddish color on the wings, but I have seen that in other photos of a GLW as well.

Yes, that would be a different case, if they sent a wrong chick that you ordered, not just a wrong extra.

When I look at photos of laced Wyandottes, I have trouble telling most of the reds and golds apart, so I suspect the hatcheries are not being very careful to keep the shades distinct. Unfortunately I can't help much with figuring out which yours is.

I think I do see blue lacing on yours (which is correct for what you ordered) rather than black lacing (which is the more common color, but not what you wanted.)

I emailed Mt Healthy and they sent me this: “we have a perctenage of breeders that have straight combs in our Americnanas, so some straight combs are to be expected. The colored eggs are not tied to combs in our flock, but keep in mind that we cannot guaratee you’ll have a specific coloored layers on the Americanas.“

I get it, but she doesn’t look like a cream legbar cross. She’s black and white on neck and chest and black and brown on wings. Has willow/green legs. No fluffy face-no crest beard or muffs. So I guess we’ll see! I know they can’t guarantee anything, but to get 2 and have one be a cockerel and one not lay colored eggs would have me not get more EE from Mt Healthy. Especially since it seems most who ordered from them got at least one rooster.

I wonder if anyone out there has a straight comb EE from mt healthy besides me and what color they lay.

I emailed Mt Healthy and they sent me this: “we have a perctenage of breeders that have straight combs in our Americnanas, so some straight combs are to be expected. The colored eggs are not tied to combs in our flock, but keep in mind that we cannot guaratee you’ll have a specific coloored layers on the Americanas.“

I get it, but she doesn’t look like a cream legbar cross. She’s black and white on neck and chest and black and brown on wings. Has willow/green legs. No fluffy face-no crest beard or muffs. So I guess we’ll see!

I will definitely be curious what color eggs she lays.

If someone mixed Legbars and Ameraucanas in the past, they might now have a flock with both comb types, blue/green eggs, and a wide variety of other physical traits. I don't know if that is exactly what the hatchery did, but it would be one way to get a flock like that.

I get it, but she doesn’t look like a cream legbar cross. She’s black and white on neck and chest and black and brown on wings. Has willow/green legs. No fluffy face-no crest beard or muffs. So I guess we’ll see! I know they can’t guarantee anything, but to get 2 and have one be a cockerel and one not lay colored eggs would have me not get more EE from Mt Healthy. Especially since it seems most who ordered from them got at least one rooster.

I wonder if anyone out there has a straight comb EE from mt healthy besides me and what color they lay.
I don't have that, but I do have a whiting true blue that has a hybrid straight/pea comb. It looked like a single comb when she was young, but then grew into an interesting shape as she got older.

I don't have that, but I do have a whiting true blue that has a hybrid straight/pea comb. It looked like a single comb when she was young, but then grew into an interesting shape as she got older.
Interesting. Mt Healthy seems to be one of the only hatcheries not experimenting making new EE hybrids. I wondered a bit if mine was part of a new attempt?

Last edited:
I ordered 3 chicks from mt healthy all pullets and we got an extra. Our extra chick was an EE according to this
(We send a 2% margin of extras in every order. This is in the case that something we’re to happen in the shipping of the birds. The extra birds sent will always be something off your order. Example: if you order all pullets, your extra will be a pullet.) She should be a pullet but she is a cockerel. In the long run I will probably keep him to breed olive eggers but I am annoyed. I just got rid of my cockerel and I was hoping to live a few years rooster free and then get back in. What should I do? If you would like to give a second opinion on Cornelia (now Cornelius) you may. He is 6 weeks old.
77dddf19-8ada-4413-897f-34967951ae52-jpeg.3498087
He’s beautiful!

Thank you! He is going to be a wonderful rooster!

Here he is now! He was photo bombing while I was getting pictures of his sister.
I’m so glad you got such a nice cockerel with such nice coloring! I wish we could keep ours. His colors look amazing. He doesn’t have a nice personality though. He freaks out if we look at him, practically. But will then fly out of the brooder as soon as the door is open.

I’m secretly happy it’s our problem chick that’s the rooster :)

Back
Top Bottom