Mt Healthy messed up

I make sure to give the roosters treats to let them know I am on their side, but yeah, I try to handle as little as I can. I usually went in the coop at night when I had to treat them for something, otherwise it would stress them out.

Not sure if it is your fault, though. Some are just weird and there is nothing you can do about it. You don't want them to imprint on you (which lots of handling can lead to), because then they see you as a flock mate rather than a human, but some imprint easily for unknown reasons, so there is only so much you can do.
They always appreciate treats. Should I start now or wait until he is older?

I think it accomplishes more to give them something periodically when they have started acting like a rooster. It kind of helps to cement our relationship at that point, with me being grateful to him, and an ally, but still above, if that makes sense.

I think it accomplishes more to give them something periodically when they have started acting like a rooster. It kind of helps to cement our relationship at that point, with me being grateful to him, and an ally, but still above, if that makes sense.
I want to have a good relationship with my roosters they are so much more complex than hens. Thank you for the help!

Ah marshmallow how is your little violator doing?
Oh, he's great! Lol. I put him in with Ruby and the Wyandottes to keep all the birds I'm "watching" in one place. You can bet I won't be handling him any more than necessary after that. :/ I'm reading up more on how to raise a cockerel of course this conversation is so timely, too! I feel like I have so much to learn all of a sudden.

Ruby and Peep still need a little extra vitamin E since they are both a bit twitchy, and when I went to give Ruby the gel "treat" you could tell Marshmallow was very interested and wanted his, too. This is already quite interesting. Lol

Oh, he's great! Lol. I put him in with Ruby and the Wyandottes to keep all the birds I'm "watching" in one place. You can bet I won't be handling him any more than necessary after that. :/ I'm reading up more on how to raise a cockerel of course this conversation is so timely, too! I feel like I have so much to learn all of a sudden.

Ruby and Peep still need a little extra vitamin E since they are both a bit twitchy, and when I went to give Ruby the gel "treat" you could tell Marshmallow was very interested and wanted his, too. This is already quite interesting. Lol
Good! Hopefully Ruby and Peep get better.

Yeah, I have found that to be true, but only if they seem to have a good temperament in the first place. When they are small and grow up with larger birds they seem to not realize that they got bigger somehow. It can make them more humble, but I think the same thing can make them more violent if they have that kind of personality. Is he timid now? Timid is a better bet from what I have seen.
I find this interesting... I would have thought it would be the opposite, like how scared dogs are the ones that bite. But the SLW I am watching is definitely more timid. Still not sure about that one or the red one, but I find it fascinating that if they are all three males, you can see three completely different levels. The super confident alpha one, the subordinate beta bro, and the timid one who backs down immediately.

I ordered 3 chicks from mt healthy all pullets and we got an extra. Our extra chick was an EE according to this
(We send a 2% margin of extras in every order. This is in the case that something we’re to happen in the shipping of the birds. The extra birds sent will always be something off your order. Example: if you order all pullets, your extra will be a pullet.) She should be a pullet but she is a cockerel. In the long run I will probably keep him to breed olive eggers but I am annoyed. I just got rid of my cockerel and I was hoping to live a few years rooster free and then get back in. What should I do? If you would like to give a second opinion on Cornelia (now Cornelius) you may. He is 6 weeks old.
77dddf19-8ada-4413-897f-34967951ae52-jpeg.3498087
My Healthy is TERRIBLE at sexing.

This is who the local feed store uses and there are unwanted roosters all over this town. Every single person I know ended up with atleast one rooster.

Did Mt Healthy give you a refund since they sent you an extra?

I’m dealing with the same situation. Have your other Easter eggers laid yet? My remaining pullet has a single comb so now I’m worried about brown eggs. At least it’s a she!

Back
Top Bottom