Mucked Out the Coop Today

swampducks

Overrun With Guineas
11 Years
Feb 29, 2008
Barton City, MI
Twelve inches of deep litter str:/aw, leaves, and chicken and guinea poop in a 6 by 8 foot coop. Boy was that fun! Still this is the first big muck-out since the coop was finished last summer. Was a little difficult scraping around the edges since the guineas have been hiding eggs along 2 sides. In fact every time I took a break a bunch of them would run in and move thing around then panic and run back out when I got back to work. I think they appreciate the new straw they can bury their eggs in now though. At least they'd better!

Good job, now want to come help me
tongue.png
wink.png
I've been slowly getting mine cleaned out one or two wheel barrows a day, in a couple days (probably Saturday), I will be done!

How bad was it to muck? Ah, it wasn't fun, it probably took less than 2 hours total though I took quite a few breaks because my back protested, that sturff is heavy! And when I dug into it sometimes the ammonia smell was a little overpowering.

Now the coop before then didn't smell, I figure the reason it smelled when I dug into it was because last fall I still had over 50 birds in a 6 by 8 coop, way more than it should support. (This was due to an insane number of guineas when some losses were "over-replaced" by the hatchery.
tongue.png
) That's more poop than would normally accumulate over the winter.

My DLM is a base of sand on top of hardware cloth so nothing can dig in from outside, followed by dried leaves and then I added straw every week to freshen things up. Used to drop a foot into the coop from the door and over the last 6 months the added straw and poop made it pretty level with the door sill.

I scooped out the straw/poop/leaves mixture with a spade fork and a long handled claw and threw it into a pile outside the door. It's not getting rained on.
smile.png
After a few weeks outside I hope to till some of it into my veggie garden. Since there was still an ammonia smell I am sure it's still too strong for the garden right now. Not that I've planted anything yet, still a lot of snow out here (and more coming this weekend, WAAAAAAH!)

I hope I've answered everyone's questions. Oh yeah, I added fresh straw after I was done.

Back
Top Bottom