Hanging out with flock adding stuff to coop

Nov 7, 2021
Lyric's World
Added some straw to their coop and it is so cozy. Also rearranged the water and feed situation. We out a galvanized feeder suspended with bungee thingies. I moved the waterers around. Took a waterer out the play pen in the coop and gave it to the ones inside my Ladie Lair brooding.

I hung a wateter inside tge play pen in the coop because those babies get SO MUCH muck in the trough of their waterer that it resembled oatmeal. 😳 I suspended their waterer with the rope thingy and hope it is high enough to not get bedding kicked inside now.

A neighbor's tree limb broke and they stacked up the pieces after cutting them neatly. Well I got a stump and put it inside the coop. So far it doesn't look like they've used it but I've seen other people have stumps and it just seems like a cool addition to a coop.

Next project will be nesting boxes. The older Birds are for orpingtons and four americanas and they should be just about hitting maybe 14 or 15 weeks. I have so many birds at this point it's hard to keep up with their ages but I have it all written down in my journal planner. 😌

ETA: Kinda liking how they roost on the pallet. The actual roost bars seem to be ignored. Then again, yesterday during our "Sit with the chickens" time I saw two get up on the 2 x 4. They weren't long for jumping off though. Perhaps when the Brahmas grow up they will roost on the 2 x 4s.

The coop looks so much nicer with the straw. Think I will be adding more because we want to do deep method for management. Have a great day my chicken peeps. We gotta get ready for worship.

Attachments

• 20221007_164406(1).jpg
    20221007_164406(1).jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 20221007_164458(1).jpg
    20221007_164458(1).jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 20221007_164514(1).jpg
    20221007_164514(1).jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 7
Don't put down too thick a layer of straw at once. It can pack, mat, and develop anaerobic pockets.

I *do* use straw, but I alternate with wood chips, pine straw, etc..
we always use pine shavings. it will absorb the moisture of the chicken poop, and the regular coop condensation, while still smelling ok-ish. sometimes in the fall we will put a little pile of dried leaves for them to scratch around in. that desentegrates quickly though, so i would not recomend doing that on a wood floor.

we always use pine shavings. it will absorb the moisture of the chicken poop, and the regular coop condensation, while still smelling ok-ish. sometimes in the fall we will put a little pile of dried leaves for them to scratch around in. that desentegrates quickly though, so i would not recomend doing that on a wood floor.
;
I think that a mix of materials is usually better than one material alone. :)

Chickens absolutely LOVE fall leaves. All the yard waste here goes into the coop and run here.

I agree with the fall leaves! I just added two buckets to our run and both the big and littles loved them. I filled up 2 feed bags for winter use once there is snow on the ground. We use a mix of chopped straw and pine shavings in the coop and then when it is ready to be changed it goes into the run with the dirt and wood chips to be mixed in. It is just a cycle of mixing and moving with the end results moving to the garden.

Everything looks good though!

Don't put down too thick a layer of straw at once. It can pack, mat, and develop anaerobic pockets.

I *do* use straw, but I alternate with wood chips, pine straw, etc..
Oh nooooo we got more today and put it down trying to create the 6" layer I keep seeing mentioned. Not quite 6" but more than yesterday. Do I need to take it out? Ughhhh.

I agree with the fall leaves! I just added two buckets to our run and both the big and littles loved them. I filled up 2 feed bags for winter use once there is snow on the ground. We use a mix of chopped straw and pine shavings in the coop and then when it is ready to be changed it goes into the run with the dirt and wood chips to be mixed in. It is just a cycle of mixing and moving with the end results moving to the garden.

Everything looks good though!
K, next pay day will get more wood chips.

Oh nooooo we got more today and put it down trying to create the 6" layer I keep seeing mentioned. Not quite 6" but more than yesterday. Do I need to take it out? Ughhhh.

The best thing is to build the bedding up gradually, a few inches at a time as it starts to get soiled.

If it's too thick at once, especially when the chickens are young and don't dig as powerfully, you'll need to do more fork work fluffing and flipping it. :)

Back
Top Bottom