Muddy’s Button Hatch and General Button Chat

What is that bedding, kinda reminds me of popcorn?
Foot spa for poopy feet?
i’m currently using a carefresh paper type bedding that they seem to like
yes the spa is for the balls that form on their feet....combination of poo, food, etc.
It has been quite the learning experience to properly care for these guys! even moreso than coturnix due to size and disposition differences.
We have been planning for a custom cage to best meet their needs and also create an easier clean-up routine.

How does the foot spa work for you? I tried it once and ended up with a bird in shock and almost lost her. Now I use needle nose pliers to break the poo balls apart.
I have found that a small pair of flush cut dikes works really good. I make one cut parallel to a toe. Once the ball is opened it can be crumbled off as is or will easily accept soapy water as a softening agent.

How does the foot spa work for you? I tried it once and ended up with a bird in shock and almost lost her. Now I use needle nose pliers to break the poo balls apart.
some of their feet were really bad.....had to soak and still use pliers to remove from some......they were a little traumatized but came out of it very quickly. i used my small brooder cage and soaked 2 at a time so they wouldn’t be alone. but next time, i will use a wire bottom to try and avoid the feathers getting too wet.

6F020795-9AEF-4D8B-AA29-5A777AD4DDD2.jpeg 5978BAA1-704D-45B9-B3E9-83C6D6179CC8.jpeg E1EAFB51-4F5E-4605-A1E9-F0A70DF6224F.jpeg FABBD0A0-C128-4A51-B3D1-D246004784CB.jpeg 4EF6A3D0-B64E-4847-8574-99A5DAB72F7D.jpeg D15E99EB-7D62-4D84-A37A-D1DF8260A0D6.jpeg
Updated pics showing my 3 beautiful boys

wildest thing just happened......dh told me he thought I had my genders wrong so i looked in the cage and “crunchy jr” was sitting on todays eggs!! he didn’t sit for very long but it was definitely interesting.....guess i should think about a fertility check?? @mixedUPturk @blackoaktammy @Nabiki

Back
Top Bottom