Muddy Chicken Runs.

It’s red cedar, but the humidity is extremely high and it would be outside so I don’t think there will be much dust to cause respiratory issues. It’s not totally cedar but mostly. I need something to soak up the mud in and around the run

If you're not sure as to percentage of cedar to other woods, as a precaution I'd mix it with other wood chips if possible to dilute down the cedar. And of course if you're doing deep litter, the addition of other organic matter should help with that.

Really what you're looking for is to be able to stand in the middle of it and not smell the obvious cedar scent. Mine is so inert that has just a vague general woody type smell, like a stroll down a wooded path.

It is a perfect time of the year to redo your run. It looks like you have quite a few animals in a small pen, so will most likely always have a problem with it. But here are a few suggestions that might help some. Collect as many leaves and garden wastes as you can. If you don't have enough, ask your neighbors. Just throw it all in there, pile it high, really high. Adding wood chips is also a good idea if you can get some. The chickens will love scratching through the piles , magically, no more mud. It would sure help if you could divert the rain water. In the meantime, place more logs, chairs, or anything you have around for them to perch on and stay dry. Keep collecting the leaves and yard waste all year. We keep them in contactors plastic bags and empty some in the run wherever needed.

The run needs to be higher than the ground around it. We add an inch or so of pea gravel every so often. Then about once a year we scoop that out and start over. Bonus is when removing the old gravel most of the accumulated poop comes out with it.

I just looked at it.
Is it all free, & don't need to pay for anything?

Depends on who replies. From what I understand it's not a company, simply a service that connects people who need chips to companies that have chips to dump.

In my area, many tree services offer free chips as they're so abundant and it costs the tree company money to have to haul them to landfill. In other areas, that might not be true and they may want a tip or gas fees for driving chips to you.

I just looked at it.
Is it all free, & don't need to pay for anything?
You need to be able to have a place they can dump a huge pile tho.
Best not to put it all in a run at the same time,
especially if the chippings are full of green leaves.
So a place to put pile out of the way.
1604886723991.png

Back
Top Bottom