Muddy Run + Puddles

KikiDeAnime

Spooky
6 Years
Dec 29, 2017
Battle Ground, WA
We started getting a lot of rain since Saturday evening and now our chicken yard is all muddy. Some of our hens have stopped coming out to eat because of the muddy yard so I've been going and giving them food but I would like to make it nice enough for them to come out.

Any ideas on what I can do?

i started with straw originally but yesterday hubby put a good base of sand down and some pine shavings. will see how well things go with the 5” rain forecasted for wed/thurs

Can you divert the rainwater with ditches, even if temporary? Anything to help with run-off.
Then, plan for better drainage somehow, for future 'gullywashers'.
Adding shavings, wood chips, anything to add height and give dry places for them will help a lot.
Covering all or part of the run would also be wonderful.
Mary

Can you divert the rainwater with ditches, even if temporary? Anything to help with run-off.
This!!!^^^

We started getting a lot of rain since Saturday evening and now our chicken yard is all muddy. Some of our hens have stopped coming out to eat because of the muddy yard so I've been going and giving them food but I would like to make it nice enough for them to come out.

Any ideas on what I can do?
How bad is it?...Please Post Pics.
Throwing down pallets might be a temporary solution for serious flooding.
Putting down anything that rots easily may make the problem worse in the long run.

Back
Top Bottom