Muddy Run

It's good to mix the chips with other dry plant matter, like leaves, grass.
I was lucky to be able to pick up some aged tree trimmings this year,
a year or more old so a lot of it was partially broken down.

At the same time we had dry weather so all the leaf falls were good and dry.
So I put a layer of the tree trimmings down the a layer of dry leaves.
Let them mix that for a day or so, then more of same.
They love scratching around in there...and bugs will hide/live in there.

You put them as a base on top of the dirt and under the leaves? I can't imagine it breaks down quickly. The chickens have no issues scratching it around?

I don't really pay attention to the order. I just put a bunch of wood chips in, there were some leaves underneath, and I've added more. They get all mixed up with the chickens scratching around.
The chickens have no issues walking around on them.

It's good to mix the chips with other dry plant matter, like leaves, grass.
I was lucky to be able to pick up some aged tree trimmings this year,
a year or more old so a lot of it was partially broken down.

At the same time we had dry weather so all the leaf falls were good and dry.
So I put a layer of the tree trimmings down the a layer of dry leaves.
Let them mix that for a day or so, then more of same.
They love scratching around in there...and bugs will hide/live in there.
Do you eventually clean all that out of the run or do you just keep building it up and up? I was planning to put a roof over my run in the future to try to keep the run dry to do the deep litter but my run is a good size and would take a lot to put a roof over the top. I just started doing deep little without the roof to see how it goes.

Quote: What I have there is basically 'deep litter'...tho it's only about maybe 6" deep.
It's just enough material to cold compost and 'eat' up the poops to keep them from stinking when it gets real wet out.
I believe it will actually break down to the point where I'll have to add more.......or I may remove some to 'feed' the garden.

I need to do this in my run next spring.
I was just going to use dry sand.
I like the wood chip idea.
My dad had a small wood chipper I can borrow.
Thanks for the ideas.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I keep my coop filled with dead leaves. It keeps them off the dirt/mud and allows the rain to seep down underneath but keeps it from becoming a mud pit. It also keeps the chickens more active and busy so boredom is not an issue. When you throw scratch or treats down the need to dig around in the leaves to find the scraps.
errr dum dum moment why did I go to clean the run and rake all the leaves and branches out errr

Back
Top Bottom