Muddy Turkey hen from mating? Should I help her?

gadarkeggs

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 7, 2010
Douglasville
I went outside today and it looks like my young White Holland Tom finally figured out what mating is all about because my hen was filthy dirty on her chest.
Unfortunatley we got about 3 inches of rain yesterday, again. Everything is very muddy. Then I noticed not only was her chest muddy but she had a lot of mud under her wings.
She was trying to clean herself, and I know the mud is really yucky. Has anyone ever tried to bath a hen? Or should I just let her handle it.
It's going to be a nice 65 degree day tomorrow and I thought a quick rinse under her wings might help her out.
I also put down more hay so the ground wasn't so muddy. And then it rained some more. [IMG]https://www.backyardchickens.com/img/smilies/big_smile.png

Last edited:
This was under the turkey section, and I've only bathed chickens. But I'd think you could bathe a turkey too, although you might need a bigger sink...lol. I just washed my new rooster last weekend. Ran half a sink of warm water, and had DH hold him in it while I used the sprayer, shampooed, rinsed, toweled, and then blow dried the fella. He actually seemed to enjoy it after the initial shock of what were doing wore off. He was quite calm.

I think I'd need a bath tub to get her in. LOL
I can see it now, trying to get her into the house.
I'll take some warm water in jugs and try pouring it on the dirt (while hubbie holds her)

Back
Top Bottom