1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

mudy runs

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kevin b, Oct 13, 2014.

1. kevin b

kevin b New Egg

Mar 25, 2014
    Unfortunately, Run area of my coop has turned to perty bad muddy ares. any temporarly solution for this mass.

2. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Just wait it out, let it dry. Not much you can do at this point.

3. kevin b

kevin b New Egg

Mar 25, 2014
    thanks for quick respond. but do you thinks i should put down some wooden skids next to each other, and cover it up.

4. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Then the mud will never dry... put a few boards (elevated if possible) in in you're worried, but just try to let the mud dry naturally.

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    The mud should dry within a few days to a week. Then, I would cover the area with straw or another absorbent material to help prevent future muddying.

For more answers, I would post your question in a different part of the forums.

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Agreed. When the ground gets muddy, I often cover it with straw. This doesn't work completely, but it does help dry the ground out and give the chickens something else to walk on.

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    When the mud dries, you should put either a layer of fine pea gravel or coarse river sand with small pebbles in it (do not use a fine sand like beach sand) in the bottom of the run. Also, if possible, I would recommend putting roof over the run. I've done both of these with my runs and I don't have problems with mud in them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by