Mulch in the run?

I don't think we can age the chips before the snow hits here (we are in Wisconsin).
At least let the pile sit for a week, then scrape the outer layer off pile and spread no more than an inch or two in run.
Wait another week and repeat.
Adding other dry materials will help.
It doesn't take much wood trimmings to alleviate the stink,
it doesn't need to be 'deep'.

I too have had muddy/stinky run problems and often wondered if mulch was the way to go. Our run is on a slight hill, it drains/dries fairly quickly. There has been a lot of rain lately, meaning trees falling. So I contacted a tree service I saw mulching in our neighborhood and they dumped free mulch in our lot! Just caution to not get too much- it's a lot of work to haul and spread. With the rain we couldn't spread it fast enough and there were fungus growing. Which I think is what @3KillerBs is referring to. Other than that, its free/local/undyed and the chickens love it!

Would pine needles be ok as a base on top of dirt? We only have pine trees in our yard. :/
Should be fine as a mix in, I occasionally clean up piled up pine needles that are really dried out, and throw those in the run.

If you have neighbors with deciduous trees that rake up and toss their leaves, ask them if you can have them - saves them from having to pay for disposal, and they're a great mix in for deep litter. Same with grass clippings, as long as their lawn wasn't recently treated with/for anything, and the clippings are fairly short.

Non toxic weeds and garden trimmings are perfectly fine to toss in as well, so if you're doing any fall clean up around the yard, keep in mind that some of that stuff can do double duty in the run.

Got the chips added! I did a base layer of pine needles and leaves then added wood chips. :)

Attachments

• 20211005_113503.jpg
    20211005_113503.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 22

Back
Top Bottom