Multi-age Brooder

BerrytangleFarm

British and Scandinavian Poultry
9 Years
Dec 11, 2010
Kitsap County, WA
My Coop
My Coop
I've looked at stacked brooders and stacked rabbit hutch brooders. I like those as an alternative to the 4x8 plywood box we have with hinged hardware wire tops and a plywood divider than can split it into two sides. That box is H E A V Y and takes up too much of a footprint. What we need is something that will be usable for multiple ages (hence the 4x8 box split into two sides), such as hatches done 3 weeks apart.

Any ideas or can you point me in the right direction?

If your hatches are 3wks apart, why not look into a mini-coop/tractor as a 'grow out' area? Then, keep the smallest chicks in the brooder with the supplemental heat - after 3wks, they move into a mini-coop before growing big enough to go in with the 'big girls' in the main coop.

If you're breeding and growing out lots of chicks, the maintenance on stacked housing is high. I've taken care of birds in that set-up and it's a pain to make sure everyone's ok, switching out water/feed, changing litter, etc. (lots of bending, reaching, stretching on tip-toes, etc.). It's more aerobic exercise than I cared to participate in! If you do decide to build something of this sort - think between knees and hips, yours, as trying to clean from the top of your head to the tips of your toes daily is exhausting!

Back
Top Bottom