Multi/Bilingual Language Thread

What Language(s) Do You Speak? :0

• Total voters
Pics
The problem with Japanese is that there are so many ways to say things, depending on situation. For example, there are about eight ways to say "I". Which one you use depends on your gender, your age, your social status, the social status of the person you're addressing, and the situation.
It is just like Korean in that aspect. I ditched both languages to learn Chinese because their structure is more closely aligned with English than the other two.

It is just like Korean in that aspect. I ditched both languages to learn Chinese because their structure is more closely aligned with English than the other two.
Japanese, Korean, Mandarin, Cantonese are all similar like English, French, Spanish, Italian, and Portugese are similar.

I found another issue. The Japanese means Japanese person, not just Japanese. Japanese language is nihongo, Japanese person is nihonjin, Japanese cooking is washoku, etc.
1695079125875.png

Japanese, Korean, Mandarin, Cantonese are all similar like English, French, Spanish, Italian, and Portugese are similar.

I found another issue. The Japanese means Japanese person, not just Japanese. Japanese language is nihongo, Japanese person is nihonjin, Japanese cooking is washoku, etc.
View attachment 3639110
What I meant was that Chinese has the same general structure as English. And there are minimal rules concerning the age/gender of the person you are speaking to/about when choosing which words to use.

The problem with Japanese is that there are so many ways to say things, depending on situation. For example, there are about eight ways to say "I". Which one you use depends on your gender, your age, your social status, the social status of the person you're addressing, and the situation.
I've been using Duolingo but also heavily relying on DH for help - he is half Japanese and spent about half his time there growing up, and spoke the language at home, so he's been quite helpful for some of Duolingo's more... interesting bits.

I've been using Duolingo but also heavily relying on DH for help - he is half Japanese and spent about half his time there growing up, and spoke the language at home, so he's been quite helpful for some of Duolingo's more... interesting bits.
Now that works. You can rely on Duolingo for some basic syntax and vocabulary and your DH for real world knowledge. I took three courses over a summer at Soko Gakuen from native speakers, and it really helped.

I'm half Japanese, but back in the 60s and 70s it wasn't okay to be a half breed, so my mother didn't teach us Japanese.

Back
Top Bottom