Multiple ailments sick bay

Thanks Wyorp Rock, Yes, I'm very surprised that her vent looks this good with all the nasty diarrhea she always has. She always acts normal, does not act sick but the droppings are nothing but loose. Would it be possible that it's like that on account of age? (liver, kidneys???)

As for the feet; yes, I'll go on with that.

And as for OLIVE the olive egger: Her breathing is not good. Still heavy breathing when exerting herself. I'm wracking her poop with the amoxicillin so I'm going to ask the vet for subcutaneous and or intramuscular antibiotic injections. Her NSOB (Not So Fluffy butt) is starting to look better. She always has me puzzled too. Never diarrhea but always a horrendous NSFB.
Olive has not laid eggs in a good while correct?
Have you notice any swelling/bloat or feeling of fluid in her abdomen (below the vent between the legs)?
Reproductive problems and/or organs starting to fail in older hens can cause heavy breathing (distress). Sometimes it's hard to know until they pass and a necropsy is performed.
It's good that you have a vet you can consult. Take a poop sample and have it tested to see if there's worms too.

Olive has not laid eggs in a good while correct?
Have you notice any swelling/bloat or feeling of fluid in her abdomen (below the vent between the legs)?
Reproductive problems and/or organs starting to fail in older hens can cause heavy breathing (distress). Sometimes it's hard to know until they pass and a necropsy is performed.
It's good that you have a vet you can consult. Take a poop sample and have it tested to see if there's worms too.

I just checked their age. They were both born in early 2013. So they're almost 7 years old now.
There is no fluid in Big Red's belly. The poop always seems to have more air in it too, without being foamy.
I have a microscope and do my own fecal egg counts on both horses and chickens.
Maybe I'm missing something but I guess it wouldn't be a bad idea to have the vet check on that too. She was too busy to see us today and she's not a real chicken vet. She did once euthanize a chicken for me. I'll call early in the morning again to see if they can make time just for an early morning poop check.

BTW: Olive's breathing seems to do better a bit.

Update: we went for a vet visit. New antibiotics for Bid red. If this doesn't help, it's likely going to be euthanasia. Olive should be getting better. The area around her butt is getting better and better. She's being cleansed every day with Hibicleans. It's a dramatic improvement. We'll probably have to give her a hen saver apron because it's likely because of the heavy rooster damaging her skin and then getting infected. She's a rather large chicken. What is your preferred chicken apron/saver? Her breathing is better too but will probably never be completely better. It's not contagious. It's probably just age.

Update: we went for a vet visit. New antibiotics for Bid red. If this doesn't help, it's likely going to be euthanasia. Olive should be getting better. The area around her butt is getting better and better. She's being cleansed every day with Hibicleans. It's a dramatic improvement. We'll probably have to give her a hen saver apron because it's likely because of the heavy rooster damaging her skin and then getting infected. She's a rather large chicken. What is your preferred chicken apron/saver? Her breathing is better too but will probably never be completely better. It's not contagious. It's probably just age.
I hope you start to see some improvement!

I used to make my own saddles when I used them. Etsy or Ebay would be a good place to look for saddles, plenty of different styles and fabrics to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom