Multiple baby crows found

@potato13618
The little cuties! :D You should really try to find a wild bird rehabber in your area; chicks can decline rapidly if they aren't getting the proper care (this is absolutely not any kind of criticism of your excellent efforts!).
If you let us know where you are, we may be able to help you track down the help you (and they) need.

Yes, a lot of birds in the icterid family are very pretty. It surprises a lot of folks to see that they are essentially gussied-up blackbirds!

Look up a common grackle and see if that's what you saw.

Very good that he's perked up. If they're lethargic, then, they probably need some help and you made a good call. Baby birds can fade fast, so you've done well on them so far.

It's time for them to sleep about now. They will be awake at sunrise. Also, if they are well enough to eat and /haven't/ been fed, they should be incredibly vocal about wanting food!
Well its sunrise and they're still alive, so that's good. I am going to feed them now. I looked up pictures of a common grackle. While it didn't look like some of the grackle's in the picture, it looked like this the picture below.

@potato13618
The little cuties! :D You should really try to find a wild bird rehabber in your area; chicks can decline rapidly if they aren't getting the proper care (this is absolutely not any kind of criticism of your excellent efforts!).
If you let us know where you are, we may be able to help you track down the help you (and they) need.
I live in Sunrise, FL. I am also going to start looking for one today.

Attachments

• commongrackle.jpg
    commongrackle.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 4
I haven't raised any baby crows, but I have looked after baby starlings that fall off my roof every now and then. I keep them in a warm dry place and DON'T give them any water if they aren't fully fledged as they get all the moisture they need from their food at that age and water can risk killing them from drowning, even a teeni drop. If the chick isn't getting enough moisture from the food, then gently wipe some water on the beak, not drip or syringe it in. I fed the starlings brown crickets as I used to have a tarantula, as well as some wild bird seed from the seed mix we feed the adults and some mashed up strawberries and blackberries from the garden, and they loved them, and when old enough to fly, I let them go free.

As for crows, they need to be fed between every 10-20 mins and the water rule applies to them also... Scrambled egg, bugs you find in your garden, low phosphorous cat or dog food, cooked pasta, whole grains, chicken, beef, mashed fruit and berries, peas and green beans, nuts, peppers (bell or chilli), peanut butter and mashed potatoes are all things you can feed them. Make sure the crop is empty between the feedings or else it may suffer a soured or impacted crop. It is important for the chick to have a varied diet if it is to grow healthy and strong.

Also, be careful of anything that can or could be broken and shredded, as the moment the chick is old enough to start fluttering and hopping about, they WILL destroy everything in curiosity.

I haven't raised any baby crows, but I have looked after baby starlings that fall off my roof every now and then. I keep them in a warm dry place and DON'T give them any water if they aren't fully fledged as they get all the moisture they need from their food at that age and water can risk killing them from drowning, even a teeni drop. If the chick isn't getting enough moisture from the food, then gently wipe some water on the beak, not drip or syringe it in. I fed the starlings brown crickets as I used to have a tarantula, as well as some wild bird seed from the seed mix we feed the adults and some mashed up strawberries and blackberries from the garden, and they loved them, and when old enough to fly, I let them go free.

As for crows, they need to be fed between every 10-20 mins and the water rule applies to them also... Scrambled egg, bugs you find in your garden, low phosphorous cat or dog food, cooked pasta, whole grains, chicken, beef, mashed fruit and berries, peas and green beans, nuts, peppers (bell or chilli), peanut butter and mashed potatoes are all things you can feed them. Make sure the crop is empty between the feedings or else it may suffer a soured or impacted crop. It is important for the chick to have a varied diet if it is to grow healthy and strong.

Also, be careful of anything that can or could be broken and shredded, as the moment the chick is old enough to start fluttering and hopping about, they WILL destroy everything in curiosity.
Thank you, I made the mistake of giving them some water by dropper until i found out, luckily no damage was done. I just fed them some mushed up cat food and they seemed to like it. Can crows eat crickets too? Also, I'm not sure if this is an issue, or just normal behavior, but one of them has their head straight up, looking towards the sky. Also, that same one has 1 eye shut.

Thank you, I made the mistake of giving them some water by dropper until i found out, luckily no damage was done. I just fed them some mushed up cat food and they seemed to like it. Can crows eat crickets too? Also, I'm not sure if this is an issue, or just normal behavior, but one of them has their head straight up, looking towards the sky. Also, that same one has 1 eye shut.

They can, though if very young, you will need to slice and mush the crickets up. And them looking right up at the sky could be a sign it is hungry if it starts calling when you are near... But to me it sounds like 'stargazing' due to the one shut eye. Try putting a little honey in/on their food next time to give it a boost of energy.
Edit: Or rub a little sugarwater on it's beak for it to lick off.

They can, though if very young, you will need to slice and mush the crickets up. And them looking right up at the sky could be a sign it is hungry if it starts calling when you are near... But to me it sounds like 'stargazing' due to the one shut eye. Try putting a little honey in/on their food next time to give it a boost of energy.
Edit: Or rub a little sugarwater on it's beak for it to lick off.
I used to have a bearded dragon that had stargazing disease. Is it anything like what the bird has or is it not caused by an infection?

I used to have a bearded dragon that had stargazing disease. Is it anything like what the bird has or is it not caused by an infection?

It isn't a disease or infection, but a lack of glucose in their blood stream or a bit of dehydration. It causes them to be lethargic and stare into space with one or both eyes closed. I haven't experienced it with my starlings I raised or my chickens or quail even though they can get it, but at college a sheep had it when pregnant with triplets.

Edit: You can also buy, such as save-a-chick, or make an electrolyte solution.
2 c. Warm Water
2 tbsp. Brown Sugar, Honey or Molasses
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Baking Soda

This is for baby chickens and ducklings though, dunno the dosages for baby crows.

Last edited:
Ok! You live in Florida, so that makes sense. What you're seeing aren't common grackles, but probably boat-tailed grackles! Those guys are a treat during mating season.

Still haven't seen mom?

Do you think they're Grackles then? I see how crow-like that pic is. :D

Ok! You live in Florida, so that makes sense. What you're seeing aren't common grackles, but probably boat-tailed grackles! Those guys are a treat during mating season.

Still haven't seen mom?

Same food and care as crows?

'icterid' thanks Tenrec, i love new words!:lol:

Back
Top Bottom