Multiple bloody eggs?

buckshens

In the Brooder
Jun 4, 2022
Over the last week I have 3 broken eggs with bits of blood in them in the roosting trays, and 2 more today when attempting to use for baking. Typically I wouldn't worry, but as there's multiple and its more blood than usual am I concerned. See attatched photos.
IMG_20220604_122221.jpg
IMG_20220604_122225.jpg

My flock, unluckly, has a history with egg peritonitis. I have one hen who recovered fully almost a year ago and is laying again, and one hen who is on anti-inflamatories after a visit to the vet last week who we thought wasn't laying. We have one other hen this could be, but she seems whole and hearty. We don't have any cockereals.

I'd really appreciate some help to trying to work out what the problem is. Is it due to egg peritontis? Is it just a blood clot?
Many thanks x

This has a wealth of info on egg glitches. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-egg-quality-problems.65923/

One time, an egg customer of mine reported an egg yolk that was bright red with blood as she cracked it open. I had never seen this with any of the eggs I had opened, and never seen it since, either. That's the way these glitches often are, one of a kind.

Chances are a blood vessel erupted as the yolk was starting its journey down the oviduct. Chances are good you will never see this again.

However, do keep an eye on the hens for any behavior changes. When a hen of mine is having a reproductive issue, the first thing I notice is she has started to go into slow motion. She moves slowly, eyes are not lively, she will pause for long periods standing in one spot. When I pick her up, she puts up little resistance. That's when I focus on figuring out why so I can treat it.

But until you see any behavior changes, this is something not to worry too much about.

Back
Top Bottom